Thursday, March 06, 2008

Dish love

Rocks in my Dryer has been having an interesting "discussion" about her dishes.

Here are a few of mine but not everything. Since my son hasn't had time to locate our original hard drive on the computer, all my pictures are still hiding somewhere within the confines of un-located hardware. However, I was able to locate these pics from past blog posts.

I'll post a picture of the Victorian china I inherited from my mother-in-law in a few weeks. Since the only time she used it (that I can recall) was at Easter, I also use it at that time. However, I use it more often than she ever did... especially in Spring. It is lovely and I can't think that china wants to hide behind doors (even glass doors) when it can be oooohed and awwwwed over.

I'll also (eventually) post a picture of my wedding china. Even though I own an inexpensive set of Christmas dishes, I still use my Noritake china for our actual Christmas dinner. You can tell when you have been married a long time, our wedding china pattern has been discontinued for many years now. :)

The dishes (except the teapot) are the lovely Lavender Rose pattern from Royal Albert that I purchased at GOODWILL! I was able to buy an entire set for eight people, all the serving pieces (platters, sugar and creamer, etc.), as well as eight matching bowls... for around $75.00.

Here is a closeup, although this picture is not one of my actual pieces, it looks exactly the same.

This is my "Everyday Lenox" pattern. It was a compromise between a pattern my husband liked (more geometric) and one I liked (floral). As soon as the sales lady showed us this one, we said... at the same time... "We'll take it!!!". What you can't see (since one of our Pier 1 stoneware bowls is on the plate), along with the floral is a small geometric pattern which shows up a lot more on the salad plate and coffee cups.

These truly are my everyday plates (except the plastic K-mart plates I make the guys use when they eat in the family room). Even if they did cost more than my wedding china, per place setting (inflation).

This is just a partial view of my teacup collection. I've actually changed the background plates to some of my darker patterns, including the English Transferware I've started collecting for Thanksgiving (and other Autumn "special" dinners). I do have pictures of that china but... alas... it is also lurking where pixels hide in old hard drives.

Except for the Lenox and my Noritake wedding china, all the others were either gifts or treasures found while thrifting.

Okay, okay... "Hello, my name is Brenda and I am a... shhhh.... dish addict".

11 comments:

Vee said...

It's always fun to see china collections. Your spring set is totally romantic and charming...perfect!

I have my paternal grandmother's set of Friendly Village most suitable for winter tables and my everyday dishes are ivy Corelle...not terribly exciting, but perfectly light for my arthritic hands.

Maggie said...

I am enjoying the carnival. Cool dishes. I love the teacup collection

heidi @ ggip said...

Lovely dishes. I love teacups too, although I don't have room for many.

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Some of my teacup collection had to be put away in a drawer.

How sad... but necessary.

They are the first I get out and use, though.

Anonymous said...

gorgeous teacup collection!

Anonymous said...

Hi Brenda, I love dishes too. it is my biggest weakness. Well, maybe candy is! I have dishes stashed everywhere and it's the first thing I look at in stores. Like I need more!

Tea cups and tea pots are a favorite too. It seems I can't find them in thrift stores like you do. Everything is snatched up really fast out here.

Such fun, thanks for sharing!
Patty

Kelly said...

Oh my gosh that picture of the dishes and teacups is beautiful!!!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

Kelly

Hummingbird Chats said...

Hello from another dish addict. I have also been married so long that my Wedding China is now no longer being made. I have a new addictions 'China Rose' by American Limoges, my DH found the first piece for me as a just because gift and the rest is history. I'm also a red and green transferware addict as well as green and pink depression glass..is there a drug for this. hehehe Katie

Anonymous said...

It was fun to see your dishes! Very pretty! I'm a dishaholic. I find it hard to resist a pretty plate or tea cup. I use almost all my dishes and I think it's fun to be able to use different dishes for different occassions! Makes meals a bit more fun.

Manuela

Anonymous said...

I love china but so seldom use it any more except for holidays. I seem to have four seasons of china: I purchased the Lenox Holiday pattern and some of the coordinating tartan pieces for the Christmas season, my wedding china is the now discontinued Lenox Merrivale pattern with green flowers that is very springlike, for summer I have Oriental Garden from Nikko which is actually an ironstone set that's almost as pretty as china, and for fall I have an ivory set with brown flowers that is a pre-war Noritake set that was my mothers.

I've given away to relatives most of the Limoges set with little pink flowers that belonged to one grandmother, and the lovely, hand-painted set from the other grandmother is displayed in her china cabinet.

So, what do I eat off of? Corelle Chutney.

Sweet Designs said...

Very pretty china, I too, am like you a "dish addict" of the highest order LOL, so glad to find another enthuisist!
Judith