Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Just a little book talk

Fairmaiden from Sea Cottage asked me about one of the books in my "basket waiting to be read". It is Nancy Leigh DeMoss's book called A Place of Quiet Rest. It will very soon be out of the basket! I'm still reading a book by John Maxwell to review and the delightful Miss Read book is keeping me company in the evenings.

I'm finally finishing Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World. I carried it with me when I was called in to sub for people at the bookstore. Sometimes such Christian books can be a...um... "tad less than deep", if you get my drift. I'll read one, yawning, thinking I've heard the same thing many times over for the past (fill in the blank) years. Thankfully, this was just as good as you all said it would be. It's already on a stack of books to send to my daughter.

I was listening to Chuck Colson on the radio this morning and my ears perked up (so to speak) when he began quoting from John Piper's comments about Ayn Rand. (I appreciated Piper's comments on his blog so much I actually sent him a comment!) This is the 50th anniversary of Atlas Shrugged. I was surprised to find A.S. was second only to the Bible in a 1991 Book-of-the-Month Club survey about what book influenced readers the most.

Perhaps I shouldn't have been so surprised. I've mentioned before that Atlas Shrugged is one of my favorite books of all time. Now, don't get me wrong and think I've gone over the deep edge into a completely different world view. No, Rand's world view and my own are not within the same universe. However, Atlas Shrugged is sheer genius and I found myself reading it and agreeing with the symptoms of our society falling apart. Our solutions are completely different.

Colson recommends we of a Christian world view read Atlas Shrugged so we can be knowledgeable when discussing it. I agree that would be a good idea but it's also a very good "read" if you like loooong books that you have to think about. People I know and love who have four children age five and under should wait until a different season in their life to attempt this one, which is why I'm sending Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World to such a person. You can pick it up, put it down, pick it up, put it down...etc... and still keep a thread of what the book is suggesting. You have to pay attention when reading Atlas Shrugged.

I haven't received my copy of Victoria, yet. I'm hoping the subscription went through okay since I subscribed on their website the first day I heard about it and I never did receive a bill or anything. I should know soon! I did receive Susan Branch's Autumn book, purchased used at Amazon for less than the cost of shipping. I was very pleased at the "like new" condition. What a delightful book to read with a cup of cinnamon tea.

I stopped by the grocery store today and found cranberries for sale! There are no stores where I live that sell frozen cranberries out of season so I have been waiting far less than patiently for them to arrive. Now that I have a deep freeze, they will be a priority to stock. I adore cranberries as much as I do pumpkin! I have a favorite quick bread recipe I use all the time but I'm thinking there was one in Autumn. I'll need to check this evening.

I stopped by Goodwill while on the way to the grocery store and found not only two vintage teacups (99 cents each) but a rather large bag of scrapbooking papers for $2.99. I took a chance as the plastic bag was taped so much I couldn't see what was in the middle. Thankfully, all the papers were the kind and colors I love. That, indeed, was a bargain as all of the papers were of the highest quality. Good books, thrifty treasures, cranberries, pumpkins on the porch... a very good day.

Well, If I'm going to be able to finish the Miss Read book this evening, I must get back to the necessary housework. There is plenty to do in the house and I also need to take the broom to the front porch. This time of year it is a little like shoveling while the snow is still coming down, especially when one lives surrounded by trees. :)

Picture: Her Office by Kay Lamb Shannon, Allposters.com

4 comments:

Vee said...

I hear about Ayn Rand often so it probably really is time to check her writing out. Painful to say when she's considered a classic.

The other book about being Mary... oh, I have tried to be more like Mary. Need to be more like Mary, but somebody's got to bake the biscuits!

You have earned lots of awards I am sure and now I am pleased to give you the "You Make Me Smile Award." You really do!

Anonymous said...

I read Atlas Shrugged in high school and had loved it...and it is so funny you mention Ayn Rand because I just came across her name in another book. I thought, maybe I should re-read her, just because my viewpoint has done a 180 over the past twenty-five years!
Enjoy your blog as always! Theresa PS If you like Miss Read you might like D.E. Stevenson's books also...they are out of print but worth finding.

Family W said...

Oh I can't wait to hear how Nancy Leigh Demoss's book is.... I've been thinking about getting that one. I too love Susan Branch. I've had her Autumn book for a couple of years now and it comes down from the shelf when the fall decorations come down from the attic. I just love it!

I haven't had much time for reading lately. My day is full with all my domestic responsibilities and then all my 'extra' time is being taken up with sewing and knitting. I miss it, but as much as I do, I have so many projects I want to tackle.... oh well. One day, my reading chair and I will be reunited. :)

smilnsigh said...

Mmmmm yes! Cranberries. I've found them too. :-)

Mari-Nanci