Friday, July 20, 2007

Bits & Pieces

I've had comments and e-mails from a lot of new readers. How wonderful to meet new "kindred spirits". What a variety of places we live, various ages, etc...men and women! I just love what Blogland has provided for people. As C. S. Lewis is often quoted as saying, "We read (blogs) to know we are not alone". Okay, I added the blogs part. :)


I don't know if anyone else had their Bloglines do something a little crazy. When I checked this morning, I had something like 550 new posts to read! Yikes...someone was busy overnight. Then when I checked both of my blogs and each showed over twenty new posts, I knew something was in error. I haven't added a new recipe to my recipe blog for a long time. Hopefully, that will be corrected soon.


Becky G. e-mailed me to remind me there is a fourth book in the L'Engle "Time" books that I should read. It is called Many Waters and the storyline revolves around the twins. I do have it but I haven't read it, yet. It will have to go on a future Reading Challenge! I am re-reading the first three.

I had planned to set aside the books until I read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle...which is due back at the library next week. I couldn't help it, though. It has been so rainy and I was quite weary last night, so only L'Engle would help take me away. That's what I love about good fantasy/Sci Fi, it can take me to another world...literally! :)

I'm reading the second in the series right now and it is just as good as I remembered it. I'm thinking a re-read of the C. S. Lewis Space Trilogy is due soon. They are...amazing. I never looked at our "Silent Planet" the same way after reading them.


In response to a couple of comments, I had promised to let you know how the German Chocolate Gooey cake turned out (the recipe is from the latest Paula Deen magazine). Everyone loved it. It's rich so a small piece can be quite filling, as can four or five pieces. :) There are other recipes I want to try soon.

There is a recipe for Mountain Dew cake (which sounds horrible). However, a couple of my local grocery stores sell these cakes for $6.95 each ...including Dr. Pepper cake. I'm curious as to what they would turn out like so I will make one eventually and share it with others.

Oh, and yes...you can use canned pumpkin for the pumpkin cookies on my recipe blog. That's what I use. :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the gooey review!

Have you read Leota's Garden yet?

This was the first Francine River's book I read!!

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I started Leota's Garden (by Francine Rivers) last year a the recommendation of a friend.

However, my husband needed a book to read so I gave it to him at the time and started another book (he loves Francine Rivers books).

I never have read it. Hopefully I will get to it soon. If for some reason I don't, it will be to my Fall list.

So many people I know have read it and thought it very good.

DebD said...

My Bloglines was also working overtime.

Perelandra is one of the most profound books I have ever read (and re-read). Its so nice to find someone else who loved them.

Anonymous said...

I am still trying to figure out the space trilogy after the first read! I think I enjoyed the third book the most.
Always enjoy your blog! Theresa

singinginthemoonlight said...

okay, I would have breezed right on over this, but the idea of *a small piece*?? stood out to me. So, now, my attention being drawn--B-r-e-n-d-a?? Looking at you with tilted head, pursed lips and raised eyebrows--you know that really *motherly--tell me the truth, look*....*Did* you eat 4 or 5 pieces of the German Chocolate Gooey cake?? And, did you leave any for me?? What about *my* pieces?? :o) Well, you are ahead of me, though I'm still in the running with Madeleine(and 3 ohter books at the same time--you know how that is, right?!), *but* Rosie and Julia, are *ahead of you* (I only say this to spur you on, as I can see you are getting a bit side-tracked by cookbooks and goodies), as you now have the entire family re-reading the series. You know, don't you, that you can send refrigerated packages???.....I repeat, Brenda......did you eat *my* cake? :o)
Sending love your way, dear treasured friend. And, if *I* need a book to read, I will let you know--since you are so awfully good and generous--thanks for letting that particular cat out of the bag, okay :o)
Jewels

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Who, me...eat any of the cake? (Wiping the evidence off of my face quickly.) :)

Anonymous said...

Have you read Kathy Tyers' Firebird series? It is very interesting Christian Sci-Fi.

I also liked her Shivering World, although not as much as I enjoyed the Firebird series.