Saturday, January 13, 2007

Puritan Prayers

Vocation

Heavenly Father,
Thou has placed me in the church
which thy Son purchased by his own blood.

Add grace to grace that I may live worthy

of my vocation.


I am a voyager across life's ocean;

Safe in heaven's ark,
may I pass through
a troubled world
into the harbour of eternal rest.


I am a tree of the vineyard
thou has planted.

Grant me not to be barren,
with worthless
leaves and wild grapes;
Prune me of useless branches;

Water me with dews of blessing.


I am part of the Lamb's bride,
the church.

Help me to be true, faithful, chaste,
loving,
pure, devoted;
Let no strong affection wantonly dally

with the world.


May I live high above a love
of things temporal,

sanctified, cleansed, unblemished,
hallowed
by grace,
thy love my fullness,
thy glory my joy,
thy precepts my pathway,
thy cross my resting place.

My heart is not always a flame of adoring love,
But, resting in thy Son's redemption,
I look forward to the days of heaven,
where no langour shall oppress,
no iniquities chill,
no mists of unbelief dim the eye,
no zeal ever tires.

Father, these thoughts are the stay, prop,
and comfort of my soul.

The Valley of Vision; Puritan Prayers and Devotions

No comments: