Sunday, January 14, 2007

My Mommy, My Teacher...a book review

My older granddaughter is turning five in a few weeks. This delightful book will soon be on its way to New England as her 5th birthday present.

It can be difficult for homeschool moms to find books which their children can enter into, finding themselves in the pages...especially when it comes to their schooling experiences. This book is about a little girl whose educated at home with her brothers and sisters. However, it will prove just as much fun to children who do not homeschool.

This story of a farm family (I'd say around the turn of the century 1900) is both written and illustrated by Johannah Bluedorn. I had the book sent directly to me so I could read it first. I am so glad I did. The illustrations are gorgeous, the storyline is sweet without being too artificial, and the size of the book is perfect for young readers. So many picture books are quite large, this one is "just right"...large enough to enjoy the illustrations but small enough that a preschooler can handle the pages.

I ordered the book directly from Trivium Pursuit. The link will take you directly to the page about My Mommy, My Teacher. Scroll down and you will view a few pages from the inside of this delightful book. I will definitely be ordering more of Johannah Bluedorn's books for grandchildren in the future.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of our favorite books...and I don't know how many times I've read it to my 6yodd. But you know what?? It inspires me too! We have several of Johanna's books, and all are wonderful!! My 15yo dd Artist Twin has really been motivated by seeing how a 'self-taught' artist like Johanna has done so well! The detail in her work is amazing!
Blessings for a wonderful day!
Amy

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I do love the illustrations as well as the storyline.

When you read her books, it is hard to believe she is self trained. I think I read her inspiration was Tasha Tudor.

Linda said...

Thank you for this review. Johanna Bluedorn is such a talented artist.

I have had this on my wish list for some time now and plan to pick it up at our homeschool convention.