Monday, January 22, 2007

Great rejoicing in Brenda's house!

Da Bears are going to Da Superbowl!!! Yippee....

We were kinda' hoping for a Bears vs. Patriots match up so we could have a fight for bragging rights in our own family (as our son-in-law is a big Patriot's fan).

However, there has been "talk" around the Midwest for years about the possibility of a Bears vs. Colts match up. This year in particular as many felt the Bears had the best defense and the Colts had the best offense. I only know these things because my husband has been reading me the sports pages for thirty-two years!

Although, I do admit to enjoying Bear's football. This team isn't quite as theatrical and interesting as the '85 team but they are still enjoyable to watch.

So...we will have three seconds of silence in honor of the New England branch of our family and then...great rejoicing. :)

7 comments:

Bethanie said...

I don't get football- I do have a question. Why are they saying "Da" Bears? I understand it means "The" but I wondered who started saying that?

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

It started with the 1984/85 bears. They used to call Mike Ditka "da coach" and it went from there. In the Chicago area, you'll even here it in descriptions of things outside football.

I'll have to ask my husband if he knows who started it!

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I asked my husband after checking Wikopedia and both say the same, it is based on the "accent" of people in Chicago, especially those from the South Side. He grew up near Chicago so I guess he knows. I know I started hearing it a lot when they began to call Ditka...da coach and it went on from there.

Aren't accents interesting? I was telling my husband and son about the TV news account of how slick it was outside this morning. I said a car had gone into a crick. They both looked at me as if I was crazy (which does happen once in awhile).

I can't help it if that is the way I was raised here to say CREEK.

Anonymous said...

GO COLTS!!!!!
:)
dare I sign my name??
joanna (now slinking away....)

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Okay, now it's getting serious, Joanna.

The true winner will be seen in two weeks!

:)

smilnsigh said...

I was thinking of your husband, with this win. In fact, we both were, because I'd told mine all about how yours loves the Bears and s-i-law wanted the Pats, etc.

So your hubby got his Bears. And mine got Peyton Manning going to a Super Bowl, with the Colts.

Ohhhh, big day coming in 12 days. :-)

'MN'

smilnsigh said...

Brenda, it is so, a crick! :-)

Joanna, me too! GO COLTS!!! -giggles-