Thursday, November 30, 2006

The joys of sleeping in

Ah...Thursday...at least for the next few weeks it is the day I most enjoy. It is the only day I not only can sleep in but I don't have to be anywhere (now that Christopher can drive). Some Thursday mornings I actually wake up as usual, only with the knowledge I do not have to rush out somewhere. Others, like today, I sleep in until the cat's meows are demanding enough I take pity on them and give them their breakfast. As if they are starving...there kibble is in one of those canisters you fill up and they can help themselves for at least a week. I've come to realize their morning "nummies" are the equivalent of my first cup of coffee. In that, I can fully relate...

Last night, I made homemade hot chocolate, using the recipe on the Hershey's cocoa container. I added Land O' Lakes Peppermint Mocha to the hot chocolate and it was...heavenly. Every bit as good (if not better) than the same drink I had at Starbucks for far more money. Not to say that wasn't worth it. Sometimes you just need a Starbucks fix, a cheap luxury if they are few and far between.

I also surprised my husband by making an apple pie. Well, it wasn't completely a surprise as the aroma of baking apples and cinnamon was throughout the house during the afternoon. He just wasn't certain what the aromas would turn out to be when served.

My "reading" last night was at Patty's Pantry (click here). She has excellent recipes that I've been wanting to copy and paste to Word. I will be adding more recipes to Coffee Tea Books and Recipes soon. It has been long neglected. I tend to let it go for awhile and then add a dozen or so recipes at a time! By next week, I will add my Christmas cookie and candy recipes...hopefully.

We have a Winter Storm approaching us quickly. I'm hoping to get to the grocery store in time to purchase those items one always needs when housebound in snow (milk, eggs, etc.) as well as the ingredients for baking and candy making. With my husband's brother and sister due on Sunday, I will be in the kitchen for a couple of days (most likely looking like the Pillsbury Dough Grammie).

Added to my time spent baking will be a trip into town to help out at the Nearly New Library Sale this weekend. I think the weather will be too bad to make it to "Friend's Night" on Friday. You know the roads are not good when I don't attempt to make that night. I'm schedule to help on Saturday afternoon which is looking far better. Since the temps have been unusually warm, I'm hoping all ice and snow melt quickly.

Now, I must go through my Christmas recipes and make a grocery list. I don't want to be in the midst of a recipe and realize I've forgotten something important!

No comments: