Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Tea cups, teapots, and lovely tea things


I thought I'd share at least part of my tea cup and teapot collection. Most are in my dining area, some are on shelves in my bedroom and those I actually use a lot are in the long, narrow drawer of my breakfront...also called a hutch (not shown). They are the teacups I actually use for myself, my family and others who would visit. I got the idea of storing them in the long, narrow drawer of the hutch when I saw it done in a magazine.

Like so many collections, mine started with one tea cup a friend gave me and then a teapot which was a birthday gift from my daughter. It was when we inherited my mother-in-law's beautiful corner china cabinet that I had a place to display many of the items. I would purchase any tea cups or teapots I liked when I first began collecting. Since then, I narrowed them to certain styles and colors to display.

Most of my collection were in the $1.00 to $3.00 range (yes, even the teapots). My most expensive items were gifts from loved ones and there are just a couple which I paid $10.00 to $15.00 for at antique stores, especially when I was looking for a particular style. That is still the price I see at most antique stores in the area, with prices going much higher for rarer tea cups. That's why I look for them at Goodwill, garage sales and thrift stores. :)


This is the top and bottom view of the inside of my china cabinet. This camera doesn't pick up the sparkle of the china and the colors are muted but they are still pretty. The teapot on the top shelf (top picture) is the one my daughter gave me which started my collection. It is still my favorite. The tea cup at the lower right hand corner of the bottom picture is the one my friend gave me about fourteen years ago, starting my tea cup collection.

This is the other corner of my dining room area. The tea cups shown here all have mums on them, in various shades of purple and lilac...perfect for this area. The beautiful dried wildflower arrangement came from Goodwill, I think it was $1.00. The green bowl shown is actually silver with a green interior, another Goodwill find. The silver set is one I mentioned another time, purchased for $25.00 from an antique mall because it was slightly tarnished (it cleaned up just fine).

Some day I'll share some of my other tea cups, those I use quite often and those displayed on shelves in my bedroom.

8 comments:

Sandra said...

Oh Brenda, what a beautiful room and beautiful photos as well. Can I come for dinner? :o)

I like the idea of using cake stands (I think that's what you used) for our teapots. They're perfect for showcasing them.

Another lovely post Brenda!

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Yes, those are cake stands. I got the idea from a couple of articles about tea rooms. I noticed they had their tea cups and teapots on cake stands in their china cabinets.

They can be purchased really cheap at Goodwill sometimes.

That's why I love reading decorating magazines of various kinds because I can use their "details". Most of them come from the free rack at the library. I do purchase Tea Time every month (and a couple others if I like that month's pictures/articles/recipes, etc.)

Of course, Victoria will long be my favorite magazine!

Mary said...

Hello Brenda,

Your dining room and your teacups and teapots are just beautiful. Just a lovely room! I also love Tea Time magazine and the new issue should be out by this weekend. Isn't tomorrow your day to be home? Hope it is long and enjoyable for you!

Anonymous said...

Brenda, I love this post. The pictures really add to it.
I began a tea cup collection a few years ago. Mostly I find mine at the local Crafter's Mall (new) but I have found a few at antique stores.I usually pay between $10-16 dollars for mine. Last year for Christmas my dh bought me a tea cup and saucer from our Hallmark Store. I told him not to, as the ones there were around $35!!
He didn't listen to me. :)
I use all my tea cups (the kids don't use the one above!). I've checked my nearby Salvation Army store regularly but I've never seen a one.
I've never used a digital camera but we do have one. I'll see if my dh can help me load a picture to my blog of my china cupboard. It's really a bookshelf with glass windows but it works perfectly for a hutch. My sister gave it to me. A few weeks ago I took everything out, dusted the shelves, and rearranged things, so it's picture ready. I'll let you know if I figure it out.
Joanna

Kelli said...

Oh, your teacup and teapot collection is just beautiful! Wow!! I love how you have your teapots displayed on cakestands. What a wonderful idea!! Having tea at your house would be so lovely. :0)
Kelli

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I saw the new Tea Time at Barnes & Noble yesterday (perusing it while waiting for my son at class). I have to wait until I get a new allowance in November to purchase it. Looks great!

smilnsigh said...

I love your whole Dining Room. And especially, the Autumn table set there.

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I had forgotten to say that the plates, sugar bowl and creamer on the top shelf are all from the Royal Albert china I found at Goodwill.