Saturday, September 02, 2006

It's looking a lot like Autumn

It's time to get out the Autumn teas and make some pumpkin and spice goodies to go with it. The leaves are beginning to change where I live and the temperatures have been nice and cool (actually, way below normal but I'll take it).

There's a football game at the university town close to where we live today. My son works Saturdays at one of the book stores on campus. I'd forgotten what it can be like when the first game is "at home". The students dress up in rather...uh...strange...outfits. Add that distraction to the traffic of a game day and I was very glad to get out of there.

After I dropped him off for work, I went to the farmer's market. An absolutely delightful experience on a day like this. I was met with the sound of banjo music playing the Wabash Cannonball, cool breezes and the colors of Autumn throughout the various displays. I bought gorgeous flowers and homemade soap, both at a fraction of the price in stores. I purchased some local apples and peaches to go into "some baked item" in the next couple of weeks. Besides other vegetables, I had to buy pecan rolls from the Mennonite farmer for my husband. They are so reasonably priced.

My main reason for going to the farmer's market today was to find the honey man. I stock up on honey for my breadbaking by getting one large and one medium honey container in September and I'll buy the same next month (to stretch out the cost). I always think of Pooh when I meet the honey man each season.

My favorite sign of Autumn came to me completely by accident. My blood sugar was dropping quickly when I was running errands on Friday. I could tell I needed something with sugar in it and as fast as possible (the long term insulin was kicking in, when you have not eaten by this time, you need a high carb item so you don't pass out). So...I was next to a Starbucks and thought I'd get a small snack there. Then I saw it...the sign on the wall...Pumpkin Spice Latte. It is back, great rejoicing!!

I believe God shows us a glimpse of His love and affection for His people within the beauty of each season. He gives us such splendid color... and scents... and tastes... just before the coming Winter. More great rejoicing!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No signs of autumn here. The brown leaves on my trees are from lack of water and not the changing seasons!! I love fall the best, though, and am, more or less, patiently waiting for it.

I noticed the Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks yesterday, too. Can't wait until a cool day to enjoy the first one of those for the season.

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

We had a gorgeous day here. It can be hot this time of year but we've been running highs in the 70s and lows in the low 60s.

I noticed as I was running errands today that some small trees have begun to turn their leaves already.

I almost stopped at Starbucks today but I have to stretch the budget. In a perfect world, I could afford Starbucks every day and the high fat/high calorie/high carb lattes. Hmmm...in a perfect world, how about two times a day?

Of course, then there would not be the anticipation I have now. I must look at the bright side.

Hoping you get cool weather soon!

A Hopeful Hollar Knits said...

Yum...Pumpkin spice cookies... Should we be looking for a favorite recipe from an upcoming post?

I just found your blog today and though I barely have time to read the ones that already get my attention on a regular basis, I'll be coming back to see you often!

Patty said...

Already had my first Pumpkin spice latte and boy was it good. My son gave me a starbucks gift card for my birthday so I can indulge : )

Anonymous said...

Brenda:

I know what you mean about Starbucks. I visit my married daughter every other Friday and always buy a frappucino for us on the way. It's a special treat for a special day. I don't think I'd enjoy it so much if I could afford to do it all the time ($$-wise AND calorie-wise!!!) ;-)