Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Solitary Tea Time

I live with two men, two cats and a very busy schedule that often takes me away from home. My best friends and my daughter are in other parts of the country. In a perfect world, there would be close friends and family nearby and time to invite them to afternoon tea. It just isn't possible at this time in my life.

So...I made a decision after we moved to this home that I wasn't going to wait for perfect circumstances to enjoy using my "pretty things". I have beautiful items to use for tea time and a big file of recipes I've been wanting to try (not to mention the books about tea time). I first started using my favorite tea cups when I brewed a pot of tea for my husband and me. He gets a pretty mug, not a fine china tea cup. I guess I've pulled too many Hyacinth Bucket moments with him. Like poor Elizabeth, he doesn't want to risk breakage.

Now on most Saturday evenings, I prepare a proper tea and watch the BBC British shows on PBS. It has become a ritual that I enjoy. The guys may not want to sit down for tea but they do enjoy tea time food.

I think often of the quote by Edith Schaeffer, "If you expect perfection or nothing, you will always end up with nothing". I'm not waiting for the perfect tea time, I'm making my own traditions and rituals within the context of present life circumstances. Maybe someday I'll let the guys use the Royal Albert.

11 comments:

Heather Anne said...

Would you like my Nanny's recipe for scones - our family has been making them for a few years - since the 1876 Purity Flour Cookery was published. They melt in your mouth, but some are put off by the fact that you have to wash your raisins and mix by hand. Hyacinth would love them!

Many of the tea cups you have pictured are in my collection, or very simular. Nanny has taped a Scripture verse references to the bottom of each with adhesive tape! I have the beakers for the less nimble fingered as well! I do so love tea and scones!

My kiddies have their own fine china - Bunnykins! They love tea time too! I make mini cookies and fairy sized sandwiches and they pour 'tea' until theirs hearts are content.

Paula said...

Just wanted to let you know that I have thoroughly enjoyed my visit to your blog, and I will be back again soon.

P.S.- I found you via Mrs. Wilt.

Blessings,
Mrs. C

Anonymous said...

Hi there-
I just discovered you through Mrs. Wilt at "The Sparrow's Nest" Tea, Movies, Literature-Besides a personal relationship with Christ-what else is there? :)

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

That's what I love about blogging. You find "over the back blogging fence" kindred spirits.

I love getting new people to share with.

Heather, it would be great having that recipe. Do you want to post it here in comments or on your blog?

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post!! I started doing this myself a couple of years ago in the afternoon. I would fix myself a proper cup of tea, with a small treat as well, and then I would read aloud to my boys. Guess what? They enjoy taking "tea" with my now, though they sometimes have hot cider instead of tea.

Kelli said...

Hi Brenda,
I have just had a wonderful time going through your posts. I especially enjoyed reading "Boundary Lines in Pleasant Places." :0)

I also enjoy a solitary tea time. I read that you like Lady Grey and that is a favorite of my girls and I.

I look foward to visiting here again soon.

Kelli

Heather Anne said...

I just added my Scones recipe to my blog 'A Place of Quiet Rest' for you - and any one else who cares to read it! My only caution is that I import my flour from Canada for all of my baking because that is where I grew up - and the flour is different somehow. My scones melt in your mouth, and yours will too if you use the best quality unbleached all purpose flour - with the least amount of additives. I swear there is a conspiracy with the mix companies to make baking from scratch harder ... but that's just my theory!

Ms. Kathleen said...

You are so right and on the right track. It is time to pull out the good china and enjoy life. Bravo!

Anonymous said...

Hi Brenda,
I'm here from the Sparrow's Nest as well. I have a personal question for you but I can't find an email address here on your blog. Will you write me directly?
happytobehome@charter.net
It's about Starting Points.
Thanks! :)
Joanna

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I'm going to "hop over" to the other blogs as soon as I can. I haven't been able to get near the computer. :)

Maggie Ann said...

Ohhh love your wallpaper! What a delightful post...full of charming truths.