Thursday, September 14, 2006

Favorite Books -- Tea Shop Mysteries


It was a happy day when I was reading Tea Time Magazine and read an article about Laura Childs' Tea Shop Mystery books.

I hadn't read a lot of paperback fiction and I'd never heard of the genre of "cozy mystery". However, my love for all things tea time sent me to the Border's mystery section in search of Death by Darjeeling. I soon went back and purchased the remainder of the books she had written at that time (inexpensive paperbacks). I came to feel Theodosia and her employees were in my circle of friends. These are the only mystery books I have reread immediately after finishing them.

In the books, Theodosia is a thirty something single woman who has left a career in advertising to open a tea room in Charleston. We soon meet her two employees, her dog named Earl Grey, and many other interesting patrons. There are delicious (really) paragraphs about tea and tea food. The descriptions of Theodosia's apartment over her store is so interesting because in each book, the apartment is being transformed from (as she says) "shabby chic" to "old world Charleston elegant". Of course, there is always a death that she helps solve as an amateur sleuth.

One of the unique features of each story is the recipe section in the back of the book. These are actual recipes from some of the tea time goodies mentioned in the storyline.

The only change the success of her books has made is now they come out first in hardback before being published in paperback. I guess that's a good thing which means we'll be getting more stories in the future. Another four tea cups out of four!

8 comments:

Susan P. said...

I'm so excited, another "cozy" mystery fan! I have read all the tea shoppe mysteries and have loved them. Have you tried Joanne Flukes books, her character's name is Hannah Swensen and she owns a bakery. I LOVE her books. Also, love, love Ann George's Southern Sisters mysteries!! It's so nice to find someone who enjoys reading the same kind of books as I do:)

Lady of the house said...

I must put these on my list. I get such good reading ideas from you. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm....okay, honestly, I've never even looked at this genre of books before, but....I see that you and Susan are recommending them so highly, I'll just have to give them a try! I tend to always be reading to learn something (which isn't a bad thing), but it would be nice to have some just for fun, very "girlie" type books too. Thanks for the review!

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I'll have to look into your suggestions, too. I read one of Fluke's books, I think it was a Christmas mystery. I really liked it.

There was a time I read only nonfiction books, except some of the classics. I just didn't have much time for reading and my preference was nonfiction (History, Biography and books like Edith Schaeffer and Elizabeth George).

Then I began to read some more fiction when I was going through some severe trials. They helped me relax so much and I really enjoy those that create an atmosphere I enjoy.

I've found I need to be careful at whose recommendations I take, too! There have been a few times I had to stop a book because I found the contents not as moral as I prefer.

I've had two great surprises (and delights), the Mitford books and these Tea Shop books. I have recommended them to homeschool teenage girls (my standard of morality and purity!). A friend recently recommended Debbie Macomber's The Shop On Blossom Street, which takes place in a knitting store. I found it very good, too. I just found the sequel, A Good Yarn, in paperback at Goodwill. I don't know about the rest of her books but these had good morals.

So...I've gone from a fiction snob (rarely reading fiction) to finding good fiction has a place in my life. My doctor keeps telling me I have to reduce the stress in my life. I wonder if I can get a medical tax deduction for these books, hehehe?

My husband loves the Beverly Lewis books. (His mother's family was Pennsylvania Dutch.)

Susan P. said...

Brenda,
Start with the Chocolate Chip mystery first because that is the beginning of the series and sets up the characters, etc.. Did I mention there are yummy recipes in each book:) I read both the knitting books and loved them as well!

Anonymous said...

I also love these books! I've read all of them (more than once!) and can't wait for the next one to be released.

I'm also glad to get other mystery book ideas--I just adore "cozy" mysteries! Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Anonymous said...

<< There was a time I read only nonfiction books, except some of the classics. I just didn't have much time for reading and my preference was nonfiction (History, Biography and books like Edith Schaeffer and Elizabeth George)>>

This has been me as well-for years and years.
However, earlier this year I decided to read through all of Jane Austens books. I just finished my fifth one, with one more to go. I'm so proud of myself! It was hard at first to get into fiction, (especially hers!) which I read 100% of when I was young but somehow got away from over the years. I have so enjoyed these books. They haven't been easy reading but being very familiar with four of the videos really helped. :)
Now I've decided to keep at least one fiction book going with my huge nonfiction pile. lol...
Joanna in Ca.

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I do the same thing. I always have one fiction book going and one nonfiction. Sometimes I'll even temporarily stop one of those to read through a library book quickly.

I haven't read Jane A. in years but I do enjoy them very much. I've encouraged my son to read classics (to get him away from his computer!) and I've taught him that classics take a lot longer to get into than modern books. They're worth it.

I'll try to think of some of the other cozy mysteries that have been recommended.