Thursday, August 24, 2006

Waiting for Autumn

I have never been much of a Summer person. I don't like heat, humidity, the bugs of Summer or what these things do to otherwise civilized people. I burn when I go to the beach. Once the average daily high gets to 80 and above, I lose all interest in cooking.

Every year about this time, I start checking Weather.Com for average highs/lows in my area of the country. (I do the same thing in February at the end of Winter.) It doesn't make it feel any cooler in August but it shows me there is hope. By September our average temperatures start dipping lower. There is hope in my house of wonderful meals on the table each evening rather than the current blank stare when asked if there is anything to eat in the house.

About mid-September I began to come out of my Summer slumber. We enter my favorite time of the year. I pull out my apron and begin baking again, stews are put together and simmered, the aroma of bread fills the house, pumpkin shows up in everything (including lattes!), cinnamon is the spice of the day, the Autumn teas are purchased and life is good.

The Farmer's Market lulls me back on Saturday mornings with the abundance of apples, cider, bittersweet, winter squash and the "honey man" selling honey by the gallon. Mums are purchased as is the bittersweet. The Autumn decorations are removed from their place in the garage, unused since last year when they were put away and the Christmas decorations pulled out the weekend after Thanksgiving.

I once again enjoy my front porch and my backyard. The walk to the mailbox is a joy. The trees begin their show which to me, competes with the best art museum in the world.

The trials are still present, the news continues to be difficult to watch, I still struggle to balance the checkbook...but for a little while the world is beautiful. I try to hold on to each day because it goes by so quickly. Perhaps it is because the season is so brief that makes it special. I'll ponder that later. I need to turn the air conditioner down a bit more now.

5 comments:

Heather Anne said...

Brenda - I can completely relate to your feelings about Autumn - in fact our daughter was born in October so her middle name is Autumn Joy! It is somewhat of a mystery to me though, how a colour I avoid all year round becomes my favourite in the fall! The fact is that our home, when we moved in 18 months ago, was painted in every shade of orange imaginable - from coral and rust, to cayenne and pumpkin. We have repainted all but one room - our pumpkin washroom - and it is going soon! Yet in the fall, I love vibrant reds, deep golds and yes, even oranges - especially pumkin orange! I think it is God's reminder that through the dreary days of winter, He is planning something glorious for our eyes to feast upon in the spring!

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

That is so funny because my daughter loves Autumn but she can't stand those colors in decorating her home.

I decorate a lot in what I call Eddie Bauer colors (greens and beiges) with red accents. However, the young woman who had this house before me loved color so I have lavender here and there and it really is pretty. Even the perennials that came up this year were shades of purple and lavender!

Autumn Joy is a beautiful name!

Anonymous said...

Autumn is my favorite time to decorate too!! I use real and fake leaves and all sorts of things I have gathered through the years. I put out homegrown winter squash and store bought. I just love this season!
I saw in an atricle years ago that stated if you are going to paint your furniture do it in a shade of green instead of say pink or even red and it will "go" with all the changes you do for your seasonal decorating. Red will work with a lot of the seasons but not the fall and the orange shades ...but greens go with everything. Just look how the grass and nature God made goes with every other color!
I use no purples or lavanders in my home yet that is the basic color I choose to use in my garden. Funny isen't it.

DebD said...

Brenda,

I love the autumn too. Love the colors and the food (apples and pumpkin pie). In fact, I liked it so much its when we got married.

Enjoying your nostalgic look back at last year.

Lori said...

I am not a summer person either Brenda and for the same reasons you stated..heat, humidity and bugs. I am a bird watcher and with feeders in my yard that helps reduce the bugs alot!

I love fall and right now I am really wanting it to come quickly, it is so hot here. I too can' wait until I can sit in my rocker on the front porch.

I switched to earthtones in my decor a few years back and I wish I had done it sooner..it is so restful and I think really easy to work with.

I prefer to cook in the fall too all my favorite foods are made then. :)