Saturday, April 16, 2022

Happy Easter!


I won't be writing much this weekend as Easter activities have been in full swing around here.  Most of my spring cleaning was completed before we hosted our Easter dinner on Good Friday this year.  It is the one big Holiday dinner I can still handle, especially with my daughter-in-law and her mom also bringing food. We each have our specialties.  :)

Our families always have a good time together and yesterday was full of good food, fellowship, and the grandfathers helping to hide plastic Easter eggs for Piper and Oliver.  Granddad (my husband) is infamous for hiding them so well that he finds some of them much later when doing outdoor work.

Today I have been resting but I will cook again for the two of us on Easter Sunday. However, it will be a much simpler meal than the Easter feast.  I'd forgotten how much I enjoy having everyone crammed around the table, eating and talking at the same time.

My husband was disappointed that I bought a dessert for yesterday (the first time maybe in decades?) because I was tired but the planned dessert I didn't feel like getting together then is now made and ready for tomorrow's smaller meal.  A good night's sleep and a morning of resting made all the difference.

We continue to have a rainy, windy, and cool spring.  There is even snow in the forecast Sunday evening.  However, warmer temperatures are in the forecast and I will then turn my "little at a time" cleaning attention to the front porch.  It faces the direction where it gets a lot of wind and precipitation of all kinds so it always needs a good spring cleaning.

I purchased a few items last week for stock up since they were on sale for the Holiday, including some Kerrygold butter for the freezer.  I try to give more attention in my budget to favorite foods that come from other countries now that we have not only supply chain issues but the cost of shipping is adding to the cost of the products. This delicious butter is from Ireland.

If I can get another ham on an Easter sale next week, I decided to make room for one in the deep freeze.  On sale it is a very inexpensive protein and it can be used in a lot of various dishes.  I still have a ham bone in the freezer from Christmas that I plan to use for soup.

I think it was Prepper Dawg (one of my favorite YouTube vloggers) who has said he and his wife are now making a priority of purchasing meat for the freezer or a few cans of different kinds of meat each week for the pantry.  They have increased the size of their garden for produce.

My husband asked me last week how we are spending so much more on food since we have continued to cut back on meat.  He knew things were higher but he had no idea how much more produce is costing now.  We are planning on going to the local farmer's market each week once it opens.  At least there we are supporting local farmers and not paying for the transporting of veggies.

I pray that you have a very blessed celebration of the Resurrection of our Savior!  Peace really is a Person and we need His source of peace more than I have ever known in my life time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter!

Mandy said...

Good call on getting the extra ham. Ham is always good! I need to catch up on Prepper Dawg. I'm so behind on blog reading and YouTube watching. Enjoy your Easter.

Vee said...

"Peace is a Person" Amen. We need Him; how we need Him...

Ann said...

Blessings for you and your family

Marceline Miller said...

What a beautiful images of the vintage Easter greeting card! I have just recently found your blog and am enjoying it

Deanna Rabe said...

I’m glad you had a great Easter!

We are fortunate to have lots of local Amish farms for produce and eggs. We bought a steer last fall and it is packed into our freezer. Thankful!