Saturday, February 12, 2022

Living the Pantry Lifestyle - If it really happens, are you ready?


Today's blog post today is very late, I have spent part of the day running down rabbit trails about the Ukraine situation.  Normally, I don't pay much attention to it but there is a lot of chatter out there about a possible Russian invasion happening this week.

As one who belongs to the Baby Boomer generation, I grew up with the real expectations of a Russian invasion at any moment on the U. S. soil so honestly, I don't think of it much. Something that huge will only happen if and when God lifts His hand of protection from this country completely.

I'm not saying that isn't possible.  Wasn't it Ruth Graham that said if God doesn't judge America, He would have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah.  Just think about how much worse the morality of the country has plunged since then.  But still... that is, I believe, more of a beginning of the Tribulation event.

No, the reason I was going down all those rabbit trails today was because of the expectations reasonable people have of what will happen in countries outside of the war zone.  

The cost of gasoline has already doubled since the current administration took office and this past week, it has gone up even more with the talk of war in the Ukraine. Imagine how much it may be per gallon once war has broken out in any part of the world.

Something else that could very well happen is a run on the grocery stores.  I think that will depend a lot on how the news media plays up the invasion.  You probably can sense what I think of the news media in general and I am not a fan.  So, should anything happen in the Ukraine, you can depend on the media stirring everyone up into a tizzy.  Is that a word?  It speaks, though.

Just on the speculation of an invasion this week, the Dow closed on Friday down 500 points (1.43%) and the Nasdaq lost 2.78%.  The S&P was down 1.90%.  I have no money in the stock market and I tend to think it doesn't reflect the reality of our economy most of the time.  However, it does reflect what a lot of people are thinking when it goes down a lot in one day.

Here is what I think may happen that will affect those of us who live in other countries, especially if the media does a lot of saber-rattling... there could be a run on grocery stores far worse than anything we have seen before a weather event.  

Because when it comes to such events, it is the perception of danger that will send people to the grocery stores much more than the actual truth of the event.  Especially if the media plays it up as if Canada or Mexico is attacking the United States.

Someday there may very well be a TEOTWAWKI event but if we prepare a little at a time, then we can prevent becoming a victim as we grab for what little is left on the grocery store shelves with a crowd of others.  Not to mention, how many shootings have there been recently at grocery stores?

COVID was such an event.  COVID was TEOTWAWKI.  However, COVID has been a slow decent into that world of change.  At least for most of us.  What I'm talking about are the suddenlies and in the world we find ourselves living in... those suddenlies are entirely possible.  There are numerous rumors of war throughout the planet and it would not take much to spark any of them.  Only God's timing has held these back.

I think tomorrow I want to write more about "fear not" but in the meantime, it would not hurt any of us if we have the ability to fill the car with gas and make certain we have some extra food on hand.  

One person I was listening to on YouTube said she asks herself once in awhile, "Do you have in your home what you need should you not be able to go anyplace for awhile?".  That is a very good exercise to do, whether on paper or just mentally.

This big snowstorm has reminded me that I need to keep some extra food on hand that does not need to be cooked.  It seems we are always learning new lessons but that is a good thing.

The most important thing is to pray and ask God for His wisdom.  He will speak in that "still small voice" and give you the wisdom you need.  It may be that you don't need to do anything.  It may be that He wants you to purchase some extra food and supplies for a loved one if you have the funds available.  He is pretty amazing that way, about giving wisdom.

I apologize for a quick and rambling blog post today but as I said, I got such a late start while doing research.  I didn't expect to or I would have begun earlier! 

Image:  ABC News online

3 comments:

Suzan said...

The rate of US inflation has been on the Australian news. Our petrol price is crazy at present it is around $2 (AUS)for one litre (Approx I quart). Even if Covid was not a concern we would not be going anywhere because that fuel has to stretch as long as possible. Meat is os expensive at present. This last week we have eaten vegetarian 5 nights out of 7. I feel we need to prepare. We don't have as many bulk options here and things like canned meat is limited in choice. But as you seem to stress that we rest in the Lord and allow him to guide our way. God bless.

hopeinbrazil said...

Brenda, I love the way you write. Not just the ideas, but the word choices. =)

I also love it that you temper your warnings and advice with the reminder that God is in charge and nothing will happen without His permission. There is always that balance between being prepared as best we can and resting in His care.

I look forward to your thoughts each week. Thanks for your faithfulness to keep blogging.

Annabel said...

I agree with everything you write pretty much Brenda! Here, in South Australia, I am hearing much talk of cyber attacks. The narrative has been built to expect them and it will be Russia... so I expect cyber attacks but I will question who in fact is behind them as there seem to be parties very keen on a war. As you say we need to be aware, be wise, be prayerful and listen to what God is telling us. I have felt prompted all along and as you say Covid was a sufficient event to feel yes that was probably what I felt so prompted about.. but I dont. I think something much bigger is coming. I am trying to use my time well and praying that I will know what I should be doing! xxx