Saturday, November 07, 2020

Living the Pantry Lifestyle - Planning for uncertainty


Well, the Worst Case Scenario for the U. S. elections was that it would be very close and the results would drag on for awhile, perhaps even ending up in the Courts.  Which appears to be happening at the moment.  One way or another, we need a quick resolution.

The best thing we can do is to continue preparing for civil unrest as best we can with deepening the pantry and a whole lot of prayer.  I'm not following election results except for the occasional headline in the family's email account.  One way or another, it will turn out to be a good thing you have deepened your pantry at least a little.

Should Biden's lead continue and he becomes president, he has already stated that he would consider a national COVID shutdown in the States if cases continue to rise.  We need to keep that possibility when considering our stock up.  Trump has said he would leave it up to individual states again.

Added Note:  Biden has officially been declared the winner of the Presidential Election. 

This month, our Stock Up day happened to fall on Election Day so after we voted, I dropped my husband back home and headed to the store where I do most of my monthly grocery shopping.  My grocery list was mainly for the items I purchase for the month but this time I also added items for Holiday baking to keep in the pantry.

I have a half gallon Ball jar already filled with semi-sweet chocolate chips but I purchased a large bag of milk chocolate chips to fill the other half gallon Ball jar I use for such a purpose. My favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe calls for both semi-sweet and milk chocolate chips.  I also purchased a large bag of white chocolate chips and a large bag of dried cranberries, both are called for in some Holiday recipes. 

I have tweaked my grocery list now that we are in cooler weather, even though there is a warm up at the moment.  It will not last long in November.  For instance, I bought both thin and wide Essenhaus noodles, which I use in cold weather cooking.   The thin noodles are what I use in chicken noodle soup.

Whole chickens have been 79 cents a pound at Meijers the past couple of weeks.  I bought one to roast and then make soup from when they first went on sale.  Then on Stock Up Day, I bought one to roast and make soup immediately and the other went in the freezer.  Whole chickens stretch the budget a lot!

I bought two bags of half price Halloween candy that can be used in grandchildren gifts for the two youngest children. I have stored the two bags in a place it is hard to reach so I do not raid the chocolate. Chocolate is my one weakness.  ;)

Last Christmas, I bought a few boxes of candy canes on clearance for about a dime a box to use for this year's Christmas baking.  Yes, hard candy easily lasts a year!  They were individually wrapped in plastic so I removed them from the boxes and stored them in a gallon size Ziploc bag with the Christmas decorations.

As far as noticing any shortages on grocery shelves, we bought a couple bottles of 70% rubbing alcohol after my husband talked to the people at CVS (where we can usually find what is not available elsewhere) and they said they had not been able to get the 91% for months now.  If all else fails, I do have a pint jar of vodka left over from making vanilla a few years ago.  (Thanks for the suggestion, my friend!)

I have noticed the availability of generic allergy medications has been uncertain.  The shelves were empty on Stock Up Day but when I checked yesterday, they had one kind available and it happened to be what I use.  So I bought two packages while they were available.

Of all things, I have had a hard time purchasing Florentine's favorite cat food that she gets every morning (it is kibble the rest of the day).  Finally, when I checked on Stock Up Day, they had a small box of two kinds of Sheba seafood pate.  So far we have not run out completely.  

It would not be pretty if we did... this is the cat who jumps on the bed if we oversleep because her breakfast is late.  She has long forgotten that she was rescued from a life of dread and has become feline royalty.  Not the diva that Victoria was but then again, she is cute but does not have Victoria's Maine Coon super model looks and attitude.

Now that we are entering a season of birthdays and then Christmas, the budget shifts and I won't be stocking up the pantry very much.  This was another reason I had Election Day as my stock up goal all along.  I will continue to top off what I already have when I use them.  Remember, anything is possible a little at a time! 

I'd love to know about items you consider stock up essential this time of year!  Especially as we go into the Holiday season.

Mentioned in this Blog Post

My favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe... here

Here is the jam recipe a lot of people like to make each year... here.

Image:  This was taken from my front porch many years ago.  The truck belonged to our former neighbor.  It is still a favorite Fall photo.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, one of the first things I stock up on is my cat's favourite food. She is one picky puss to feed but she's so cute she gets away with it.
I already bought vanilla-expensive stuff but necessary for Christmas baking. Next on the list is cranberries and a turkey for the freezer. Thought we would buy it early just in case.
Thought we'd skip making fruitcake this year. The ingredients are getting so expensive and everyone seems just as happy with christmas cookies.
Also some candy for the stockings. Anything else we can do without or improvise if need be.
There have been so many shortages this year, it's like everything bought is 'just in case'.True?

cindy said...

I stocked up two weeks ago and just received my medications in the mail yesterday (90 day supply). Now on top of all that is happening I am now under a tropical storm warning - yes I live in SW Florida! Since the announcement of the "winner" earlier today so may believers have been posting on FB scripture and reminding us all that God is in control and is still on the throne. Take care and stay safe.

Anonymous said...

"Added Note: Biden has officially been declared the winner of the Presidential Election."

Not officially, just by the MSM.

May any fraud be revealed and all justice be done. But as always, may His Will be done.

"Divers weights are an abomination unto the Lord; and a false balance is not good." (Proverbs 20:23, KJV)

karen hess jewelry said...

We’ve been sure to stay stocked on flour, butter, and sugar. Two bags of flour are kept in the extra fridge. In March flour and bread were hard to come by so now I’ll bake two loaves at a time and freeze at least one of them. Our local ranchers are feeling the pinch and offering great buys on their beef and pork, so we’ve been able to take advantage and put up meat in the deep freeze. I dread to think what I’d do with a power outage! We planned on having 10 for Thanksgiving but now with the election outcome that might not happen as a nationwide shutdown has been mentioned. I feel like I just want to curl up in my home and avoid the outside world and news at all costs. The bright point today was an email from our Bishop for the Diocese. He encouraged us to stay faithful and trust in God, for He will prevail. Have a blessed Sunday everyone!
Karen

Anonymous said...

Biden hasn't been "officially" declared the winner. Only the electoral college can do that, not 3 tv stations. ;)

Jenny said...

Can you remind us all the ways we can use vodka in our pantry? You commented on it but I don't remember seeing the conversation before.

I keep wracking my brain for anything I might have missed. I can't keep a traditional pantry (flour, rice, dried beans, ect) because my husband has juvenile diabetes & cannot eat those things. I have a freezer full of meat & veggies (Praise God) & a pantry full of canned meats & veggies plus condiments, some fun things to make life easier, ect. Your posts have been so very helpful.

PJ Geek said...

I bought pet food and bird seed at. A tractor supply store. I bought a month supply of wet cat food for $17. 30 lbs bird seed $10. I try to wait till it is colder to put bird seed out. I have deer, raccoon, possum...and birds eat it up. The deer jump our fence and tip it over for each other.

Anonymous said...

I, too, love chocolate. It's odd, but a nice roast chicken always seems elegant to me and it is one of the least expensive things you can buy. I can usually get three meals for three people from one fat little chicken. I'm sorry to hear you have the blahs. Most of us have had our lives turned upside down this year. I just put myself in God's hands and pray a lot.If I am talking to God, there is not as much room for negative thoughts. I do worry, sometimes, however. There are so many good people out there ,having a rough time. I am glad your friend was able to give you a
lift. I hope you have a good week, God Bless.

Shell