Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Book Talk

 

This month I want to share what I'm reading and listening to as usual but I also want to add some book suggestions that I have read in the past.   These are all books I think you might like although, one never can guess another person's taste in books. 

Audible

Audible has a new program now that makes it a much better option for money spent on a membership.  Prior to them making a change, we received one credit each month which could be used to purchase one Audible book of any amount.  So, of course most people use their credit for the more expensive books on their list.

Under the revised membership plan, you still receive one credit a month to purchase any Audible book but now they have a "library" of books one can borrow without using their credit.  There are excellent titles available.  


I downloaded Susan Schaeffer Macaulay's book, For the Children's Sake and listened to parts of it already.  (I have reread it many times.)  It was this book that first got me interested in the Charlotte Mason style of homeschooling.  I have already "returned" it.

Info... here.


Currently, I have my favorite Madeline L'Engle book called Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art downloaded.  Both titles were part of the free list for Audible members. 

I liked the new plan so much, I added the Audible widget to the sidebar, under the regular Amazon widget. Clicking on it allows you to try their 30 trial for free, or purchase an Audible book should you be a member. 

The changes made it a cost effective option and you can listen to the books from the Audible app.  Of course, you have to download the book/s to listen without wifi.  I am still building a permanent Audible library with the monthly credit.

Info... here.

Book Recommendations

I got to thinking of books I've enjoyed in the past that I haven't mentioned in a long time... if ever.  All three books below are nonfiction stories, two of them autobiographical, that will take you on adventures through the pages of the books.  All three were easy and very enjoyable to read.


It was the hurricanes in the Gulf Coast that reminded me of a favorite book called Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson.  I had already heard this was an excellent read (about the Galveston Hurricane that killed 6,000 people) when I saw it at a book sale many years ago.  I bought it for a dollar and could not put it down once I started reading it at home.  

No wonder the book was so famous.  Although a nonfiction book about a real event, it reads like a mystery novel.  Even though I knew what happened with this hurricane, it was surprising to realize how this story could have been different if just a few of the circumstances were changed so the people of Galveston had a warning the hurricane was on the way.

I sent my copy to a friend who was from Galveston and she enjoyed it even more than I did for she grew up hearing the family stories of the hurricane.  The book draws you in and lets you get to know many of the people whose lives were affected.  It also tells why this deadly storm changed the way scientists tracked hurricanes.

Info... here.

I reviewed both of the following books when I was still accepting books to review from publishers.


Braving It: A Father, a Daughter, and an Unforgettable Journey into the Alaskan Wild
by James Campbell was an unusual book for me to agree to review at one time.  However, I was intrigued by the story of a father who takes his teenage daughter with him as he ventures into the wilds of Alaska.

The book is divided into three parts, each telling the story of an expedition to Alaska in various seasons over a year.  Two of the trips were to the wilderness cabin of the author's cousin and his wife.  The third was a canoe trip down treacherous waters.  I will add here that the real hero of this story is his wife who gave her (reluctant at times) permission for all of this to happen.  I doubt I would have been that brave.

His cousin is Heimo Korth from the show, The Last Alaskans, which had four seasons on the Discovery Channel.  If you were a fan of that show, you would especially enjoy this book.  Language Warning:  There is swearing when the author describes some conversations but it is not a regular part of the book.

Info... here.


Another unlikely favorite book is Taking Aim: Daring to be Different, Happier, and Healthier in the Great Outdoors by Eva Shockey.  Once again, I agreed to review this book because of the father-daughter story that it told.  I wasn't sure how I would like it but I ended up enjoying it very much.

Eva is the daughter of legendary hunter Jim Shockey and grew up around hunting and hunters.  However, she didn't develop an interest in hunting on her own until after she finished college.  She shares about the family going along on her father's adventures and later learning the skills necessary to excel in the field. 

The author also writes about knowing where our food comes from and how hunters are caring for the environment.  

Info... here.

I love how these three books gave me a glimpse of another world that I would never have known without reading them.  That is one of the magical things about reading good books.

I hope to be back in a couple weeks with another Book Talk!  I want to share a few favorite Fall related books at that time. 

Disclaimer:  Most links to Amazon.com are Associate links

Image:  Sung Kim - Book Shop

5 comments:

Vee said...

Enjoy your family time. That was shocking about the cost of a you know test. Quite a hit on the budget when two in the family must take one.

I gave up on Audible last summer and now I don't remember why! 😳

Happy October, dear Brenda🍂

Jacki said...

I just started an Audible membership, mainly because I discovered the Irish country series by Patrick Taylor On my library’s Overdrive website. But after the first two audiobooks they didn’t have any more. I can order the physical books from the library but after ordering 3, 4 & 5 and weeks of waiting only number 4 came in. These are best read in order. So I got the Audible membership as I love listening to books as I go to sleep at night. I have access to Hoopla through my library also but none of these books were available. I’m currently reading number 4 and listening to number 5. I have enjoyed many audiobooks books through Hoopla for free during the last year though, we are allowed 3 per month, Overdrive has a limit of 30 I think and since I love books I’m using them all. Jacki

Deanna Rabe said...

I didn’t know about the change in the Audible plan. That’s exciting!

Interesting books, I like biographies.

Alaska Gram said...

I actually know Heimo and Edna Korth. They spend a little time in Kaktovik on their way to the bush for winter. Unlike most reality shows, "The Last Alaskans" was very true in their portrayal of the Korths. I've also met Charlie's father who was very interesting. I haven't been able to go to Kaktovik this year because of the covid-19 virus so I don't know if they were there this year. I live in Fairbanks but usually spent about 1 week each month in Kaktovik where I pastor the Presbyterian church.

Anonymous said...

Hi Brenda...I have the book Isaac's storm. So I want to try to read it before the end of the year. But along those lines I read Al Roker's book Storm of the Century. It was hard to put down. Very informative from a weather person's point of view. I just got a book (secondhand)about the 1938 hurricane. Don't remember the name of it. I guess since its hurricane season these books are appropriate. Al's book mentions Clara Barton's roll in the clean-up. This lead me to David McCullough's book on the Johnstown Flood. I think that's it. I get all my books secondhand whether its Goodwill, Garage Sales, Thrift Stores or library sales. It can be a challenge when I really want a newer book, but I have enough to read anyway.

Lydia