Sunday, July 19, 2020

Sunday Afternoon Tea - Advice to my beautiful granddaughter upon her graduation

 

There are a couple things happening that remind me that the sands of time are quickly passing.  My birthday is coming up in about a week... again.  Although that is a blessing from God.

Another blessing has been the high school graduation of my granddaughter, Elisabeth.  My firstborn grandchild is now heading for college.  Now that is something I'm still trying to fathom.  She is a lovely young woman and we are very proud of her.

My daughter asked if I had words of wisdom for Elisabeth.  She also has wonderful parents and grandparents on her father's side but I wanted something that was very Grammie-like.  Below is what I wrote:

Happy Graduation, Elisabeth!

What a year to graduate.  I’m sure 2020 will be one for the history books.  

What advice would I give you as a Grammie?  First of all, to read the Word and talk to God for only then can you stay on the journey He wants you to walk.  If nothing else, read one Psalm and one chapter of Proverbs a day.  Some of our wisest people made this a practice.

Find really good teachers you can trust.  Always find out the theology of the person who is teaching the Bible to know if they are worth your time and effort as a student.  I speak from experience!

Pray for wisdom and discernment.  We live in a culture where there is a lot of deception but God gives His people discernment to cut through the false and to find the truth.  His wisdom will go with you.  

Become a lifetime student; be curious about all kinds of things.  You can never learn all there is to know about any subject.  I still learn new techniques in cooking and baking all the time.  Although I still cannot understand math.  So I guess sometimes you can’t continue learning.  

I have read that books are God’s way of making our finite minds to become infinite.  You don’t have to love all books but find authors you enjoy and read what they have written.  Whether they write fiction or books about your favorite subjects, always keep a book nearby.  

Enjoy the gift of hospitality.  Enjoy making music.  Not everyone is meant for a concert career but good music can bless everyone.  Create art even if it isn’t perfect.  Don’t be afraid to try something new even if you aren’t good at it in the beginning.

Look for Beauty even when it is hard to see.  There are echoes of Eden all around for the person looking for them.  Life can be hard but God is good.

Remember that you are loved by an Infinite love and by Grammie and Granddad.

NOTE:  Letter and photo used with permission.

13 comments:

Donna said...

What a beautiful young lady she has grown into :) I certainly see a lot of you in her. Wonderful advice you've given your granddaughter, and us. Happy Early Birthday Brenda!!
Donna in Dallas

Vee said...

Elisabeth is a beauty. What good advice and I can think of another page or two of your advice so I hope that she reads Grammie's blog. All the best to her as she strikes off on this new adventure.

Kathy said...

Beautiful young lady!
Great words of wisdom too.
And Happy birthday to you.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your beautiful granddaughter on her graduation! You gave her great words of wisdom in a letter she will most likely treasure the rest of her life because they’re from her Grammy! And Happy Birthday to you next week! Mine is next month! Time marches on!
Blessings to you,
Laura C.(WA)

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I am always astonished at how time passes. I am astonished that your granddaughter can be graduating from high school already! And, yes, what a year to do so...Your loving and wise advice will be a blessing to her!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and wise words Brenda. You really responded to the invitation. Inspiring! Marin.

Marie said...

What a lovely young lady! Congratulations!

Rebecca said...

Like a letter to one's younger self... So wise and rich.

Deanna Rabe said...

Thank you for sharing your letter to beautiful Elisabeth. You gave excellent advice and I say Amen, to all of it.

What interesting times our children and grands are coming into adulthood in, but as we know God has them here, in this time, for his purposes. "For such a time as this"

Many Blessings, Elisabeth!

The Journey said...

Excellent advice for a beautiful young lady. I still have the letter my grandma sent and wonderful advice. hugs. Linda

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Oh wow, your granddaughter, beautiful and all grown up. I love, love your beautiful advice to her.

Congratulations and best blessings to Elisabeth!
Brenda xox

Amy said...

She is just lovely. Timely advice for not only Elisabeth but for us all. Blessings Miss Elisabeth on your new journey.
Amy

Heather LeFebvre said...

What a lovely picture! So excited for Elisabeth.