Sunday, March 29, 2020

Sunday Afternoon Tea - Favorite books on the Kindle Part 2


As I write this, we have had thunderstorms come through and the daffodils have begun to bloom.  Both are part of early Spring in the Midwest. A sign that no matter what is going on right now, the seasons will follow each other as they have for a very long time.

I think my mind is beginning to settle.  At last.  It took awhile to think through all the changes that have so suddenly come to our planet.  It feels like we are living in the pages of a dystopian novel.

Currently Reading
I was reading Gentian Hill by Goudge for an online book club but my right eye has been giving me problems.  The sight in that eye was greatly improved with the surgery but it can still cause challenges when reading smaller print.  So I set Gentian Hill back on the shelves and I'm concentrating on Kindle books for the moment.  To be honest, it wasn't my favorite Goudge book but I can see why others would like it.

I add to my vast collection of Kindle books once in awhile when a title that looks promising goes on sale for around $1.99 or less.  Sometimes it is a book or author I'm very familiar so when I saw the author was Vannetta Chapman, I knew I had liked some of her other books.  So I took a chance on two thrillers last week when they were on sale.

The first book was called Hidden and the sequel is Protected.  I love a well written mystery and I couldn't put Hidden down.  I'm just getting started on Protected but so far it looks like I will be carrying the Kindle Paperwhite around with me until that book is finished.

The last time I checked, they were still on sale and I highly recommend them if you want a good thriller.  Proof the genre can be written that is both clean and a page turner.  The hero of Hidden is a Christian but not sappy (if you know what I  mean).

Info:  Hidden... here and Protected... here.  You can get information about the plots on their Amazon pages.

I also noticed when checking prices that her dystopian series about the electricity going out is currently on sale.  I purchased it last year when it went on sale to have available on the Kindle.  I haven't read the series but I have never read anything by Chapman that I didn't like.

If you are interested, those titles are: Deep Shadows... hereRaging Storm... here, and Light of Dawn... here.

Current Audible Books
Last Fall I joined Audible and I've enjoyed deciding how to use my credit each month.  When you have any kind of an eyesight challenge, Audible books provide options.  I'm putting together month-by-month a library of fiction and nonfiction audible books.  The nice thing about Audible is that you can cancel at any time so there is no long term commitment.

I have two that are next in line for my listening attention.  They are Christy by Catherine Marshall (one of my all time favorite hold-in-your-hand books) and Jan Karon's In the Company of Others.  I'm leaning toward the latter since I have been told it is fabulous on Audible with all those Irish brogues.

Audible links:  Christy... here and In the Company of Others... here.  If you are not an Audible member, they are pricey but the library should have them.  Once they open again.

Around the Web Ideas
I've enjoyed hearing what other book lovers are doing during this time. There is a trend toward reading books they have had on their shelves for awhile but never got around to reading because they tended to be larger volumes.

Books like The Lord of the Rings (Kindle... here), The Count of Monte Cristo (Kindle... here), or The Brothers Karamazov (Kindle... here) would make great reading now that there is time.  A more modern author like Rosamnde Pilcher writes nice long novels that will take you away from it all for awhile.  Two of my favorites are The Shell Seekers (Kindle... here) or Winter Solstice (Kindle... here).

I'm thinking of rereading the beginning novel of some of my favorite series like At Home in Mitford (Mitford Series Book 1 - Kindle... here) or Death By Darjeeling (Tea Shop Mysteries Book 1 - Kindle... here).  Both series have brought me many hours of reading pleasure.  I think the last few books in both series were not as great as the others but they were good reads).

If you are on Instagram, I've really enjoyed the readings by Sarah (formerly Clarkson) which include a poem and a Psalm each day.  They are at Sarahwanders... here.

I think this is enough today but it may either give you new ideas or spark a remembrance of what is already on your book shelves.  Until next week... stay inside if possible and wash your hands!

Also, please forgive any typos since my eyes are far from perfect and I often don't catch them until the next day.  I do go back and fix what I find.

Disclaimer:  Most links to Amazon.com are Associate links.

ImageInterior With the Artist's Daughter by Duncan Grant

7 comments:

Deanna Rabe said...

Great list of books! I’m reading a non fiction right now but am probably going to do some re-reads.

doe853 said...

Hi,
I hope you know that you can borrow ebooks and audio books from your library. They usually have lots. Have a great week.
Dale

Judy said...

Hello Brenda,

As you are purchasing from Audible, I thought I'd mention that they have a wonderful version of "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom - the one read by Wanda McCaddon. I received 'books' from Audible for just a year, about five years ago, and have listened to this one more than once - just listened to the final chapters of another go through this evening. I imagine you are familiar with the truly wonderful story of Corrie and her sister, Betsie - hard and beautiful, faith-filled and encouraging - one for this time, perhaps.

Happy 'audible reading'!

Heather LeFebvre said...

I’m on the read what is on my shelves plan. Can’t believe the library won’t be opening for many many more weeks. But thankful to be forced to read these others.

Debbie Nolan said...

Brenda the list of books looks wonderful - especially like the review of mystery ones. Take care and stay safe. Hugs!

Terri said...

Hi Brenda,
Thank you for the book suggestions! I am reading "Hidden" by Vannetta Chapman and will read the sequel afterwards. Good reading for a rainy afternoon here in Oregon.
Stay well.
Blessings,
Terri

Vee said...

Well I am intrigued by your suggestions, but since Thrillers scare me... 🙃 Take care of your eyes, dear Brenda. Audible must be such a blessing.