Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Give Your Child the World, a review


The subtitle of this book is Raising Globally Minded Kids One Book at a Time.  Which describes what makes this book very special.  Jamie Martin is married to a man from England and along with her birth son, adopted a child from Liberia and a child from India. 

Her husband is the CEO of Love146, an organization whose goal is to abolish childhood slavery, so one can say the family knows a thing or two about the cultures and countries of the world.

I appreciated how this book is set up, first by telling the author's story so we are drawn in to her world.  Second, there is a section on everyday ways our own families can learn about other cultures.  The rest of the book gives us hundreds of books divided by geography as well as age group, fiction and nonfiction books that will help each of us understand other parts of the world.

Our children are growing up with a global perspective.  This book is exactly what every parent needs to take to the library with advice written by one who comes from a Christian viewpoint who has a God given love for other people.  I wish I had this book when we were homeschooling.  Highly recommended.

The forward to the book is by Tsh Oxenreider and the author blogs at SimpleHomeschool.net.

This book was provided by the publisher for the sake of review but the opinions are my own.

Further information about this book can be found... here.*

*Most links to Amazon.com are Associate links.

5 comments:

Heather said...

I have been hearing great things about this book. Read aloud revival is having a summer book club with this book.

Heather LeFebvre said...

I rarely actually buy books outright (usually used or borrow from library) but after listening to Read Aloud Revival I actually purchased this right away! Mostly because I could justify it as a "school book" since we are studying world geography this year. I'm so excited to use this to provide books for our school year!!!!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Another book for my collection. I really need to make that list!

LauraC said...

coffeeteabooksandme@hotmail.com Is this the email to send you something? You are the first blog that I ever followed and I want to bless you just the slightest bit that you have blessed me. I want to contribute to your ability to put away some things into your freezer or larder. God has put it in my heart to do this, I'm just not sure where to send it to.

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Laura, that is still my email address. But you don't have to feel you have to send something. You are so sweet!