Sunday, March 15, 2015

Sunday Afternoon Tea - Ramblings on Cats, Cold, and Springing Forward

Spring sunlight coming into the Study...
My wireless issues have at least temporarily been fixed.  Word is that I need a new modem but that nice man on the telephone led me through a process that was the technological equivalent of a good kick and restart to the wireless.

It is not a perfect fix but good enough.  Sometimes good enough is... good enough.

A week has passed since most of us in the "States" sprung forward by setting our clocks an hour ahead and losing that hour of sleep.  But I find this changing of the clocks to be much easier on my overall health and well being than when we "Fall Back".  

It takes only days instead of weeks to reset the internal time clock.  Not to mention that lovely extra hour of sunlight we receive each evening.  That alone would make me happy. 

It has been rainy and somewhat chilly where I live but after a month or more of subzero temperatures at night, rain was a welcome sight.  Even a cold rain.  For the first time since Christmas, there is absolutely no ice on the gravel lane and one does not slip and slide from my house to the rural mailboxes.

I even made a trip to the library last week, where I found... in its' Friends of the Library Used Book Room... two books I've long wanted.  The first was the little 1970s Hallmark gift book of excerpts from Gladys Taber called Reveries at Stillmeadow (for $1.00) and M. F. K. Fisher's The Art of Eating (for $2.00).  

Finding those two books and enjoying a cup of coffee on the way home made for a very good day after a very cold winter.  To be honest, just getting out of the house without being concerned about slick roads alone made it a happy trip.

Although I couldn't imagine living anywhere without four very different seasons.  I embraced the Winter in December as much as I now embrace Spring in March.  Albeit March where I live is one of those months that one cannot ever depend on for stable temperatures.  Tomorrow is to be gorgeous, a possibility of snow is in the forecast within a week.

But March is Spring because we need March to be Spring.  Even if we can't safely plant until Mother's Day in May.  March is Spring.  Even if it snows.

March does bring with it sunlight, which my weatherman said is twice as warm as the December sun.  That makes my Study a much nicer place to create.  It is difficult to be creative when one's teeth are chattering.  I know.  I tried.

Ours is a ranch style house with the furnace located on the other side of the house.  I have been told there is a way to fix the "freezing in Winter" and "baking in Summer" of that room but it would involve more construction time and money than I'm willing to put into comfort. 

And if you wonder why I don't have a little heater or a big fan, I have one word.  Victoria.  My lovely Maine Coon who has an innate sense of adventure and curiosity... and not much in the way of wisdom.  Both my husband and I have warned her about the adage, "curiosity kills the cat".  Like most Royals, she believes getting into trouble for her sins is far beneath her dignity.

But I have worked it out, really.  When it is cold and dark in the Winter, I move my home headquarters into the Living Room along with my favorite books, a pot of tea (or mug of coffee first thing in the morning), and the availability of PBS's Masterpiece programs on the smaller TV hooked up to the antennae.

There are very few weeks a year when the heat bothers the Study.  Especially since Victoria loves it when I open the window over the cabinet by the table where I work.  She loves to watch the outside world with the breeze blowing through her fur.

And if you think this house is set up for the well being of our pet... you are correct.  And if that confuses you, I highly suspect you have never owned a dog or been owned by a cat.  But I could not imagine what life would have been like through the years without my childhood dog who loved me through my father's death, our two sister kitties who lived far into their elderly years, and our regal Maine Coon who brings laughter every day. 

She thinks we are laughing with her, not at her.  No one has to tell her the truth.

So now I leave you as one thing does not change with the seasons.  Dinner... and the need to prepare it.  And since I have no Downstairs staff just waiting to do my bidding, I must be off.

16 comments:

rebecca said...

What wonderful books to add to your collection. And how I smiled at how cleverly you adapt to the changes in temperatures in your house :) And like you, we here in NE Indianaa NEED spring.

Anonymous said...

So happy for your good "finds" at the kibrary. Sounds like a lovely day for books, out for coffee, and just to get out for a change of scenery. I was able to get some things done this weekend in the part of the house that we keep shut off in the winter because it is so cold . Yes, Spring is coming! Enjoyed the "post". Blessings, Sharon D.

Anonymous said...

Your study looks so bright and cheerful! How nice to have two windows! So glad to have you back and you got your Internet issues fixed for now. Happy for you, too, that the snow and ice is finally melting and you were able to get out and about. I just Love library sales! Picked up a vintage series of garden and nature books last week with beautiful illustrations. Just what we needed - more books! Where will I put them?? The Reveries at Stillmeadow was my very first Gladys Tabor book. Right after I found it, Susan Branch featured her books on her blog. So then I went on a hunt to all our local used bookstores to find more and found several! I bought them one at a time, but ended up with nine! :) They make for wonderful, relaxing and peaceful evening reads as the outside world gets crazier. I totally understand arranging your house around the needs of a kitty! We are currently kitty-less and miss having their companionship. Maybe another one is in our future? We'll see....
Wishing you Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Your study looks so bright and cheerful! How nice to have two windows! So glad to have you back and you got your Internet issues fixed for now. Happy for you, too, that the snow and ice is finally melting and you were able to get out and about. I just Love library sales! Picked up a vintage series of garden and nature books last week with beautiful illustrations. Just what we needed - more books! Where will I put them?? The Reveries at Stillmeadow was my very first Gladys Tabor book. Right after I found it, Susan Branch featured her books on her blog. So then I went on a hunt to all our local used bookstores to find more and found several! I bought them one at a time, but ended up with nine! :) They make for wonderful, relaxing and peaceful evening reads as the outside world gets crazier. I totally understand arranging your house around the needs of a kitty! We are currently kitty-less and miss having their companionship. Maybe another one is in our future? We'll see....
Wishing you Blessings!
Laura C. (WA)

becka said...

I, too, fully understand about arranging your house for the needs of a cat. We have had to put a plexiglass cover over the front of our fireplace because our adventuresome cat climbed up the chimney one afternoon! Our white cat was a sooty mess for over a week. Glad you are having some spring-like weather up your way.

Lee Ann said...

I love that room. It is so warm and cozy and just feels friendly.

Glad you are back!

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous find at the library! It's funny, sometimes we go there and there's nothing good in the sale section. Other times we get lucky.

Vee said...

Glad that a fix was found. I have rooms in my home that are not as cozy in warm or hot weather, too. Strange how small a home can become in some seasons.

Rita said...

I have not wanted to cook lately. Loved your comment about the downstairs staff. Lol if only.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Great book finds! Real treasure!

What a fun and chatty post! I am delighting in the nearness of spring too! So great to walk with no ice and drive on dry roads!

We've had rain a few times and it was windy and chilly today but it's been in the upper forties and low fifties several days this past week!

Greetings to Victoria!

Deanna

Anonymous said...

Doesn't everyone arrange their house around their pets?! If the pet is a cat, they give you no choice. Our kitty looks very much like Victoria, but is a male, Bodie.

I look forward to your posts and miss when you are not able to post.

Lynn

Marge said...

We here in Minnesota have enjoyed a week of spring! And today is supposed to be nice too, but I did hear the word flakes in the forecast for upcoming days! Like you, I love my 4 seasons. And like you, my downstairs staff leaves a little to be desired! We were gone to a wedding this weekend, and we returned to the same house that needs dusting, floors that need scrubbing, and meals that need making. I think I'll fire those lazy people! Lol!

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love seeing pictures of your home - so comfy and homey! We had a Maine Coon Cat some years back and he was such a lovely pet and yes, a friend, to everyone in the family. We miss him. Haven't had a great cat like him since he passed close to 20 years ago. Right now we don't have a kitty at all - but just the other day, hubby said he sure would like to find another nice Maine Coon to share our home. Thanks for this post!

Susan Humeston said...

My Maine Coon, Sqeebles, is my best friend. He never leaves my side and has to be curled up with me almost all the time. He's such a lover.

Heather LeFebvre said...

So excited that you found a Gladys Taber book!!!!

Anonymous said...

I DO love going to our local library's ongoing sale. The nice lady volunteer watches for the books I want, and sets them aside. So nice!! Saves me so much time!! She always gives me extra good deals. I love when that happens, now we live on a fixed income too. And especially when it is offered and not asked for!! :-) Elizabeth