Wednesday, March 18, 2015

My World this Week

Spring Sunset
It was gorgeous here for one day this week.  We made it to the mid-70s before a big cold front came through and placed us back with highs in the 40s.  But we're getting there little by little.  Spring.  One can smell it in the air even if wearing a down coat to get the mail.

This is really "my week" the past two weeks since I couldn't upload photos until the temporary fix to my modem.  Just little things accomplished here and there this past week and as we know... it is the little things that count.

So here is my world this week as seen through the lens of my camera.

Reading
I don't purchase magazines much, anymore.  But when I found out my bloggy friend, Sharon Lovejoy, is one of the featured articles in this latest issue of Mary Jane's Farm magazine, I had to buy a copy.

They did a fantastic job of showing Sharon's absolute genius. She is my very favorite garden writer (tied with Susan Branch and Tasha Tudor as my favorite illustrator).  This article will show you I have good taste.  ;)

Creating
Front of card
Washi tape on back of sealed envelope.
I found the cutest "flower" stickers at Michaels.  They were the inspiration for a card I created and sent to my fellow flower lover and gardener... my granddaughter, Faith.

For her further enjoyment, I added the wide washi tape to the back of the envelope.  I love this tape called Picture Book Bird so much, it has a permanent place on the Amazon Widget (on the sidebar of this blog).
Thrifting
When I was in town one day recently, I decided to relax a bit by walking through my favorite antique mall.  You can imagine my delight when I came upon old Victoria magazines. 

Even more delightful?  They were only $3.00 per dozen.  I bought all they had, which came to $15.00 plus tax.  I had to make two trips to the van as bundles of magazines are quite heavy.  But oh my goodness... what a God Wink!  I rarely go to the antique mall (or the thrift stores) these days.

Beauty

Baking
Lemon cream scones to share with Mr. & Mrs. Christopher.

Colcannon for St. Patrick's Day
I added bacon this year but we decided we liked it best with just ham.  The bacon takes over the flavor.  But it was still good.  :)

Her Fluffiness
P.L.E.A.S.E. open the window so I can see outside.  I don't care if it is only 30 degrees.  I'm a Maine Coon.  My people kitties can handle the cold!

13 comments:

Lee Ann said...

what recipe did you use for the lemon cream scones?

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Here is the recipe, the only change was I gently rolled them out and used a biscuit cutter instead of forming them into wedges.

http://coffeeteabooksandrecipes.blogspot.com/2014/02/soft-lemon-scones.html

Anonymous said...

So glad it's finally S-l-o-w-l-y warming up in your area! Love the card you made! I thought at first you made the flowers! So Cute! How fun to find old Victoria magazines! I subscribed to it for years (still do) and have boxes of old issues. I sorted through them a while back thinking I would keep only a few favorite issues, but in the end, couldn't part with any of them! There's no other magazine like it, although the older issues were better. I just subscribed to Mary Jane's Farm and got the issue with the article featuring Sharon Lovejoy. What Fun! I was lucky enough to find one of her books at a thrift store recently. Am saving it for when I finally have grandchildren one day....
Blessings,
Laura C. (WA)

Rebekah @ Heritage of Grace said...

Hello Brenda,

This is a totally off-topic question. But I found a comment on an old post on Pleasant View Schoolhouse blog about Edith Schaeffer's books. :) You mentioned that you had some books with letters/correspondence of the Schaeffers. Would you mind telling me the titles? I would love to get my hand on them and read them! I read the L'Abri book and really enjoyed it.

Thanks so much!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Oh those scones! Yum!

I love that you scored all those Victoria's! Woo Hoo! God wink, indeed!

I really like Mary Jane's Farm. I don't often buy it, but I just may with Sharon's spread in it this month!

We've had lovely days here but a wintery mix is on the way. However, the weather has cheered our hearts and we KNOW winter will not last!

Deanna

Jonell w Harrison said...

What a cheerful energizing selection of pictures...Your color always draws me on...:)

Nana said...

Hi Brenda;
What pretty pictures! I especially loved the cards, very pretty.I made your scones and they are delicious!! I cut them into wedges, but will try rolling them and cutting in circles! Her Fluffiness is so pretty and she looks so regal! Have a good week. Love and Hugs, Nana

Vee said...

A cozy post...now I want to find a Mary Jane's... I do think you have wonderful taste! =D

Nanna Chel said...

Brenda, I love the card you made. It is very colourful. I am pleased that it is starting to warm up for you. We have too much warm weather here in Australia at present as we are in the middle of a heatwave where we live...in autumn! The weather sure is unpredictable these days.

Annabel said...

I just love that tape and didnt know it existed! And I love Victoria magazine.
MAry Janes farm also looks lovely but I have never seen it. I wonder if I could order it in Australia?
Very sweet post full of good things! xxx

Debbie said...

Mary Jane, of Mary Jane's Farm fame lives near me. She used to have a retail store in my hubby's hometown but has since closed it and moved the store up into a more "ritzy" area. Such a shame because I loved to browse her little store when I was in town.

Judy said...

I hope you have many lovely hours of pleasure poring over the magazines - a sweet gift of grace from God's hand.

Anonymous said...

What a cute card for Faith. Ummm, lemon creme scones, sounds yummy. I'm going to look up the recipe. What a wonderful find, your magazines. Enjoy and maybe share an especially enjoyed something from them with us? Pam (SD)