Friday, February 06, 2015

You Have A Brain: A Teen's Guide to T.H.I.N.K. B.I.G. by Ben Carson, MD, a review


I read Ben Carson's book, Gifted Hands, many years ago and was so inspired I gave it to a woman who works with inner city teens (we were living in Detroit at the time).  So I was very interested in this book written specifically for teenagers.

At first I thought it a rather odd title but when one begins reading, you find out what the title means, his mother was always telling her two boys to "use their brains"... not only with education but in common sense living.  Not to mention it is a play on Dr. Carson being one of the worlds most famous neurosurgeons.

I liked it even better than Gifted Hands, which is an autobiography.  While this book also provides the story of how he went from failing school to becoming the Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins, it also gives a lot of excellent specific advice on becoming the best person they can become... whatever God has planned for them.

I have found it difficult to find a book written by a very devoted Christian that helps young people succeed in the secular world.  Perhaps I'm not reading them.  But I still believe this is one of those rare books that will inspire young people in their studies, interests, reading, career goals... and their relationship to Christ!

I must add a caveat here, this book is an excellent read for college students and adults.  I'd give it as a gift for any person needing inspiration in their current education (especially young people struggling in school) as well as we adults who need reminding that God has gifted us uniquely.

Some of the chapter headings are:
  • The Amazing Brain
  • Think Beyond the Can
  • How We Got Smart
  • Bookworm
  • Taming My Temper
  • Expanding My Options
  • The Challenge -- Medical School
  • Becoming a Neurosurgeon
  • Talent
  • Honesty
  • Insight
  • Nice
  • Knowledge
  • Books
  • In-Depth Learning
  • God 
  • Think Big
I highly recommend this book.  It was such an enjoyable read for this type of book, I read it in just a couple sittings!

More information can be found at Amazon.com... here.*

This book was provided by the publisher for purpose of review but the opinions are my own.

*All links to Amazon.com are Associate links.

4 comments:

Vee said...

Hmmmm...I know someone who might truly benefit. We really admire Dr. Carson and enjoy hearing him speak. Specific tips are always appreciated. (I am finding the comparison of your post and mine most humorous today.)

Deb J. in Utah said...

Thank you for the review. I just got Ben Carson's first book - haven't read it yet. I think I might get this book for my 18-year-old son! Sounds great. So many of my students could also benefit from it. Thank you!

Nanna Chel said...

I read his first book and it was very inspiring. I am sure this one will be equally inspiring and look forward to reading it if it becomes available in Australia.

Anita said...

Thanks for sharing. I have a couple of grandchildren who might be helped by this book! :-)