Friday, November 28, 2014

Where Treetops Glisten: Three Stories of Heartwarming Courage and Christmas Romance During World War II, a review


I haven't read many novels which contain stories by three different authors within the covers, so I wasn't sure what to expect.  But I am happy to say I was delighted with this book!

I enjoyed this book so much that while my review copy was in the form of a Kindle book, I plan to purchase the paperback version and add it to my annual Christmas re-read stack!  It is very highly recommended and easy to read in between all the gotta do's of the Christmas season.

The stories revolve around the Turner family who live in a Midwestern town during WWII.  I enjoy stories about families in WWII so I was interested in reviewing it, especially as it is from a faith perspective.  But I didn't expect it to be a book I'd definitely put in my "all time" favorites list.

Each story is a nice sized novella and the stories will renew your faith in the Lord's timing and provision.

The first story is called White Christmas and it is about Abigail Turner, who is a college student and works part time at a candy store.  The task before her is to overcome devastating circumstances, which came as a result of the war.  The story of how she is able to overcome her fears and meet a new love during the Christmas season is perfect for curling up and reading when it is cold and snowy outside.

The second story is called I'll Be Home for Christmas and it is about Grace, who is a WWII widow with a small preciousness child.  We learn how Grace learns to trust in God to meet all of her needs, including how to handle a child that we would call severely ADHD today... all while learning to learn to love again when she meets a man from her past that she had despised... Pete Turner.

The third story is called Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas and it is about Meredith Turner, a nurse taking care of soldiers in war torn Holland as the Americans have landed and are in the process of freeing the Dutch from Nazi occupation.  Much like the other women, Merry is suffering from a great disappointment and learning to trust God in the midst of war and betrayal.

All the stories build on each other and they take place over three Christmas season.  I think you will like this very much, especially if you like the kind of fiction that takes you away from your own challenges for awhile.

You can learn more about this book at Amazon.com... here.*

A copy of this book was received from the Publisher for the purpose of review but the opinions are my own.

*Associate links


2 comments:

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Thanks for this review, Brenda. I've had the pleasure of adding several books to my own library shelves from your thoughtful reviews.

Brenda L.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

That sounds good! I'll have to try to find it. I love interesting books like that too and with Rachel and Sarah being voracious readers too, it will get passed around!

Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful!

Deanna