Thursday, November 20, 2014

My World this Week

I moved my button collection from a vintage tin to this pretty glass jar I had tucked away to "use someday".
Like so much of the United States and Canada, we have been freezing our giblets!  It has been around 30 degrees below normal for awhile now.  You can tell this sudden burst of Winter took us by surprise as our deck furniture is still out.

So for the most part, I've stayed inside except the icy trek to the end of the gravel lane to get the mail.  I've been cutting through my neighbor's yard where there is only snow until the sun finally melted the ice off the gravel.

Christopher took a comp day from work yesterday to rest and work on an app he is developing for his church.  He is feeling better but has not completely regained his health so I'm glad he took a day off. He offered to buy my lunch so I stopped by his house and we went to a favorite diner off of the highway.  I forget at times how much I love talking to my kids.  :)

So... here is what has been happening in my world recently.

Reading

My review of Fierce Convictions can be found... here.*  I thought it quite remarkable.  Oh, I was asked if it would be offensive to Catholics?  Not at all, Hannah More (a member of the Church of England but also Evangelical) was one of the few people at the time who was friends with both Catholics and Protestants.  There was a lot of animosity in England between these two, if you have studied history!

I purchased Summer Wine Country with Amazon credit (thank you!).  It is quite inexpensive, although most copies come from the UK.  It is a must have book for fans of Last of the Summer Wine with gorgeous photos of that part of England.  It also contains short exerpts from Cleggy's letters (written by his alter ego, Roy Clarke) to his Polish pen pal.  ;)  Info... here.*


I got out one of my all time very favorite cookbooks, again.  Homemade by Clodaugh McKenna.  You may have seen her Irish cooking/travel program on PBS.  Info... here.*

Morning Sunlight




Memories
A favorite Christmas photo that hangs in the "Hall Gallery".
So many commented on how nice it was to see photos of the family when they were much younger, I am including another favorite.  Long time readers will know that, yes... my children are twelve years apart.  God's timing, not ours!

Her Fluffiness
You may remember how she loves nature shows, especially about birds!

*All links to Amazon.com are Associate links.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love, love the button jar--I have a vintage jar full of buttons just because I love it. Wonderful photo of your children--beautiful family.
So special that your son asks you out to lunch. Makes a memory to cherish. Blessings, Sharon D.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

As always I love seeing your world! I've just been thinking about buttons. I have an enormous tin of them which is rearely opened anymore......I should get out some of these things for my grandchildren. Putting them in a sparkling clean jar (with a red top!) would be great......And I love your photo of Stephanie and Christopher, and the Last of the Summer Wine book.....I couldn't resist a 79cent copy!

suzanne said...

I would love to spend a morning in your kitchen, Miss Brenda. Love the pic of Miss Victoria watching TV. I WISH I had a button collection....decorating with practical items is one of my favorite ways to adorn my home, when I can. The photo of your two children inspired me to create a 'Christmas past' display of my loved ones. How fun!

Scrappy quilter said...

I always love visiting your blog and catching up with all you are doing. Our temps are much better than they were a week ago at -27C at night. Hopefully this isn't a sign of what our winter is going to be like.

Vee said...

Brrrrrr...

That is a sweet photo of your kids. Glad that Christopher is feeling better and that you were able to have lunch together.

And Victoria watching tv looks quite familiar. We have a tv watcher, too.

Anonymous said...

That was a wonderful idea to do with the buttons. I remember my own Grandmother keeping a jar of buttons.

Anonymous said...

It cracks me up that animals enjoy watching television. What a cute picture of Victoria. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Dee/NY

Anonymous said...

Wow, I feel as if I was out there in the snow, and then I read the book too... I love your posts!

God bless you

br.Fredy

Anonymous said...

I love your cozy home. It's pretty how the sun is shining in your cheery kitchen. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Keep warm.
Paula