Wednesday, September 17, 2014

My World this Week

Early morning sunlight on favorite books...
I am loving the cooler temperatures, although September can be fickle and return to hot weather at the drop of the proverbial hat.  But it is always short lived.   The cooler temps bring me back inside for a lot of reading and the brewing of tea and fixing up the house to be nice and cozy and cooking slow food again.

I admit to not being much of a hot weather cook.  Everything I enjoy making pretty much falls under the category of cool or cold weather cooking.

So here is what has been happening in my world recently...

Reading & Re-reading

Dish Love

I'm keeping my hutch the same until time to decorate for Christmas.  A display of favorite Early American things and much beloved brown transferware has been enhanced by a few autumnal touches.

All but two of the dishes were purchased while thrifting.  For instance, the tall coffee server was purchased for just a few dollars at the antique mall as it has a very miniscule chip out of the lid.   Sometimes slightly flawed can be wonderful, especially for those of us on a tight budget.  ;)

Baking

I thought this was delicious but my husband didn't care for it as much.  But then again... I was raised on biscuits and he was not.  Recipe... here.

Signs of the Season

Tea Time
Holiday tea left from last winter and just as yummy.
This tea was a gift from my daughter for my birthday.  I use a little at a time...
The teacup was a gift from said daughter way back when she was in college (she probably does not appreciate the use of way back).  Just saying...
Her Fluffiness

Watching her favorite TV show, Wild America.  When it comes on, she tends to run into the room to watch it.

Especially if the episode is about birds of any kind... in this case it was about wild turkeys.  The scene on the screen is a hunter in camouflage with a duck turkey call (hard to figure out if you were not watching it).

10 comments:

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Lovely week!

I have been trying to back in the groove of school and home keeping after being on vacation! It's coming together. I'm also Autumnizing the house so that's a fun thing!

Sorry you had a flu bug. My daughter Lindsay has Mono, they finally diagnosed it this week after three weeks of illness!

Love you, Brenda.

Deanna

PJ Geek said...

I love reading your autumn posts. You get cooler weather sooner that we do in Georgia. I was looking for your chicken soup recipe, but I only saw the lemon chicken soup. I have part of a rotisserie chicken and I'm ready to make soup?

Rebecca said...

How ready your home appears for the season. (I'm sitting here thinking how "likes" attract...and how blessed I am by "like" bloggers.)

Keri said...

I absolutely love the photo of the sunlight on your favorite books! I think that if I had a similar photo from my own home, I might have to print it out and put it on my fridge, where it could cheer and comfort me all day long! And I, also, am a cool/cold-weather cook. I struggle so much during summer months, since all of my favorite dishes are "inappropriate" for warm weather. I just can't get inspired making salads.... :)

Cheryl said...

Lovely touches of autumn here and there around your home! My Will was asking me just the other day when I was going to put up our fall things. It was 96* the day he asked!

Anonymous said...

Love your fall decorations and the "symmetry" on the shelf. I do love the fall colors and the feel of "fall" in the morning. Apple bread looks delicious. Blessings, Sharon D.

Anonymous said...

What a funny kitty!! Nice you set the TV up so she can watch too1!!
Elizabeth

Heather LeFebvre said...

Hi Brenda! I am so behind on everything right now and I've been wanting to email for several weeks and it hasn't happened yet. :) But, golf just ended and there is a birthday to celebrate this weekend but maybe life will settle just a tiny bit after the weekend? :) Have a good day!!!

Unknown said...

Love the photo of the sunlight on your books. How cute is your cat watching the nature show! We are enjoying digging into our homeschool books with popcorn & hot chocolate. :)

Anonymous said...

What a nice cup for tea! It has its own strainer and a lid to brew with ... what an easy way to enjoy loose leaf tea.

Love your pics of fall decorating. I just plain love orange any time of the year. It draws me and does something for my soul! ; 0)

Okay, tell us what the titles of your books are on that sunny bookshelf. I clicked on the pic but it didn't make it large enough to read the titles. I'm always on the lookout for new book friends.

Glad you are feeling at least a little better and could post ... love the pics of your cozy home.

Pam (SD)