Thursday, July 24, 2014

My World this Week


Once again computer time is hard to come by.  I have tried to catch up on e-mails and if I missed anyone, do write again.  Sometimes they get buried!

After a few days of heat and humidity, we are once again unseasonably cool.  It was actually jacket weather last night, unheard of in late July!  While I love this weather, some garden items do not.  It seems the basil has hardly grown at all since it has been cooler than normal.

The garden is getting that late season look already, quite unlike its' peak in late June and early July.  But we have a lot of green beans since the bush beans are all coming in at once and the vine beans have begun to come in, too.  Next year I may want to plant two raised beds of nothing but green beans for canning.

So... here is what has been going on in my world this week from the lens of a camera.

Reading
My friend and "blog daughter", Heather, recommended Maisie Dobbs and we tend to like the same books.  I'm just starting it.  Further info... here.*  Also rereading A Fine Romance and as mentioned last week... Marriage To a Difficult Man.  Three very different kinds of books.

Watching
Each season of Endeavor on PBS has been excellent!  The season ender last Sunday was quite a surprise, can't wait until the new one comes along (next year?).  Sigh...  Oh, I was asked about Father Brown.  I watch the new Father Brown series on PBS, too.

Pretty Thrifting
She jumped in my cart at Goodwill.  Honest!  It was destined for her to come home with me.

In the Garden
I am loving this golden pineapple sage.  My favorite nursery in a nearby town has all kinds of unusual herbs and flowers.  I bought this one just for the unusual color but the taste is delicious, it really does have an aroma of pineapple and a tropical flavor.  Planning on adding it to pound cake soon!

Produce from the Garden
Kale, green beans, two tiny tomatoes which are under the greens, and flat leaf parsley. 

Sipping and Sharing
I had a cup of regular copy, my all time BFF enjoyed a speciality of the coffee shop, and we shared a delicious piece of our favorite cake.  Yum...

Her Fluffiness
Someone loves having "her" Study back now that Mr. Sebastian has gone home.  I changed some things around on the desk, she thinks it was just to give her more space to stretch out.  ;)

* Amazon Associate's Link

10 comments:

ellen b said...

Oh my that ending of Endeavor really got to me and now the wait...
I didn't realize Father Brown was on PBS. I'll need to look and find it.

Vee said...

Haven't watched Endeavor, but am loving Father Brown. Looks as if the garden is producing even is not looking its best. My garden is merely an experiment now. I'm taking a wait and see attitude.

Victoria looks right at home there. I just heard a bit of a thump and found my cat sitting right in the middle of the table. She so knows better! I gave her the stink eye and she hopped down in a huff. Bet she does that all the time when we're not looking!

Jenny said...

I really go into watching Endeavor this year - how can we wait a whole year to find out what happens next?! :o)

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Our tomatoes are still green! Can't believe I have no ripe tomatoes yet!

Enjoy your time with your all time BFF. :)

Victoria is so cute.

Deanna

Cheryl said...

What a darling little friend who jumped into your cart! I'll bet Victoria is happier with this friend than with Mr. Sebastian. And you and your BFF have a lovely tradition there! Oooo...that cake...

We are enjoying our first ripe tomatoes, such as we long for all the year. That first bite is never a disappointment!

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love those flowers in your first picture ~ we used to call the Rose Moss when I was growing up. You always read interesting books. Hope you enjoy the rest of the week!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I love moss roses and have grown them on my deck with great success other years, but this year something is eating the flower heads off every day and now the plants are dying.....I have to smile when I realize how many things we both like. I've read all the Maisie Dobbs books - some are better than others. And the newest by Winspeare is The Care and Management of Lies. It's not a Maisie Dobbs but I am liking it too, though am not yet finished... I do have ripe tomatoes, cherry and early girls, on the deck. "May you walk in beauty", as the Navajos say...I think all humans are created with this desire.

Anonymous said...

So nice to have coffee and cake and visit with BFF. Unusual leaf design in the cup of coffee. How did they do that? Tomatoes are about gone here in East Texas but we sure have enjoyed them--nothing better than a red ripe tomato with a little salt. Blessings, Sharon D.

Reginas Cottage said...

hello,
i watched father brown,
my tomatoes are still green and my eggplants start to flower,very late this year.Nice books have you read.
HAVE A NICE WEEKEND;
REGINA

Anonymous said...

I LOVE all the Maisie Dobbs books! I discovered them last year. They are so well-written! Also, I recently found out that the Call the Midwife book is a trilogy, plus one more from when the main character left the Docklands.

-Connie in San Diego