Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Winter may be over, at least I think...

This pic was sent to me long ago, it still makes me smile.
Yesterday I heard a weatherman on one of the "City's" stations say it was the coldest early May in 130 years.  I cannot testify to that exactly as I was not there 130 years ago (although my husband may have been...), it was darn cold.

So far the tomato plants are still growing, even with frost singed leaves.  I'm a little concerned about the globe basil plant, it is losing a lot of the cute little tiny weeny basil leaves.  We'll see what the next couple of weeks bring.

Today we are to reach 80 and with it hopes that I can get to some much needed outdoor chores.  It really does look like Ma and Pa Kettle live here (have you ever watched those old movies, hilarious!).  I think the two neighbors we share the gravel lane with are beginning to think we have become slackers. 

The one neighbor hopefully knows better but the woman who just moved into the house that overlooks the hill has no memories of a nicely mowed lawn, clipped hedges, and a fence line which was not being taken over by the forest it originally knew.

You would think the colder weather would have stopped the growth.  Perhaps it did a little but the rain made up for it... approx. four inches of rain last week.  More in the forecast this week.  Yes, my mind has been leaning toward Noah (and not the recent silly movie... rock people?).

All of this to say... I am just checking in before heading out.  A real honest to goodness review for The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry is planned soon as well as a My World this Week.

That reminds me... Hubby and I were running an errand together yesterday evening, which is rare.  We pulled up into the driveway and at first I thought someone was in our house!

The curtain was pulled back at least a couple feet.  It didn't take too long to see the furry creature glaring gazing out at us through the window (she can sit on the back of the sofa and see outside).  We could tell even through the window we were getting a good talking to... the meowing continued when we went inside.

Apparently Her Fluffiness does not appreciate being left alone.  She was in quite a snit.  Hubby said it was too bad we didn't have a video camera and put THAT tantrum on "The Blog"!

Yeah, anyone who is owned by a cat knows who is the Queen (or King) of their house!

7 comments:

Susan Humeston said...

My Maine Coone calls me when I'm not in the room. He gives a plaintive, kind of whiny, slightly panicked "meow" repeatedly until I answer. Then he comes to find me, jumps up where I am and cuddles next to me. I love him.

Anonymous said...

Our cat has us well trained too.

tpals said...

Ha. Love your description of the cat chewing you out.

Nana said...

Hi Brenda;
How funny, I am afraid Her Highness has a hissy fit like a child does. How funny, I so enjoyed that one! We have 2 cats, brother and sister and they are as different as day and night. I too feel like one of the squatters of long ago. When they look at your yard all to be seen are weeds, which are growing profusely. Love and Hugs, Nana

Vee said...

I have seen some of those videos and the things cats do when they are home alone!

It has been a chilly, wet May....more like April. So sorry that your plants got nipped.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

We've had a cool May here too. Crazy, crazy.

The kitty is the Queen after all, no wonder she didn't like being left without her lady in waiting and her footman!

Off to read your review.

Deanna

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

What a funny kitty! Corey (my daughter's dog) always needs extra lovin when we've been out for several hours.

Have a great weekend and hopefully the weather is nice in your neck of the woods!