Monday, July 22, 2013

Our homeschool journey...

I have had a lot of people through the years ask how we came to be homeschoolers.  I share that story on Mom Heart today.

Below is a paragraph from that post:

Once again we let him finish the school year and then signed papers releasing the State’s responsibility for educating our child (the only official act required in our state) and brushed the sand off our education sandals… we knew we had to take responsibility for his learning experiences.

You can read the rest of the story... here.  :)

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I had 3 boys I homeschooled, and I don't regret a minute of it. People gave me a hard time about it, especially the grandparents, but I think we did ok. I have an Eagle Scout, and Army officer, and my youngest headed to Air Force Academy in a year. We had so many opportunities that other children miss. I applaud the families that dedicate themselves to raising their children themselves, at home.

Karen Andreola said...

Brenda,
Now I know a little more about you. I can relate to your desire to teach your son outside the classroom environment and within the freedom of the home atmosphere. It shows your conscientious willingness and courage to step into something you felt in your heart was the right thing to do - even though (like all of us who home teach) you didn't know exactly how to go about it - at first.
The Man-of-the-House doesn't mind me sharing that our family doctor told him (at age 40) that he probably has ADHD. He laughed when he heard this - comic relief, I guess. Unlike his straight As sister and brother before him, he has always learned far more outside the confines of the classroom. And he has never been able to stop learning.
Karen A.