Thursday, May 09, 2013

Of cornfields, swamps, and such...

Well, writing has been more of a challenge than I first thought it would and I still haven't figured a way to upload pictures easily.  But I do have a few minutes of computer time to take advantage of at the moment.

I am SO loving how everything is blooming, even if it is causing loved ones some allergy problems.  The heavy rain held off long enough today for me to get a nice walk in on the walking trail, which has been more difficult this year.  What I notice most these days... the colors and the aromas of Spring.  Just lovely!  All the rain has made for almost instant... lushness.

I also noticed one of the cornfields I pass on the trail now has rather large CAT equipment instead of John Deere, it looks like the new research facility has broken ground.  While I know there are many people excited about it (I've completely forgotten what Christopher says will be researched there but it was important), as one who grew up in a small town not too far away, I am always sad to see more farm land disappearing. 

At least there is another cornfield on my walk but as it sits between the Research Park and a subdivision of houses, it will only be a matter of time before it disappears.  On the other hand, I'm fairly certain the wetland area I walk by will be protected.  I used to scoff at people who talked about the importance of swamps as I grew up with them all around the country and was always told to stay far away from them. 

Legends of tractors being sucked into quicksand abounded and I never quite knew if that did happen or not... but it scared me into not going near them.  Perhaps that was all the stories were intended for in the first place.

But now I understand about the importance of wetlands and I do enjoy passing this one on my walk.  During all the recent flooding, the walking trail by the area was flooded and even now the water comes up to the trail.  It seems odd having it so close.

Which is probably why on my walk today there was a crazy goose honking at me as I neared a small bend in the trail.  I know if one is near their nest they can get quite forceful so I was very relieved when it took off before I arrived in its' comfort zone (it was already in my own comfort zone).  It continued honking like mad from the other side of the bushes in the swampy area itself.... so I do think that is where it had some babies waiting to literally come out of their shell.

We have another cold front arriving today, the reason behind the storms and heavy rain.  The weatherman says we will experience a "Dogwood Winter" this weekend.  I don't think I'd ever heard of that before but it is the equivalent of autumn's "Indian Summer".  It is to be quite chilly again.

Speaking of dogwood trees, ours is in bloom and every year it takes my breath away.  I was awake just as the sun was coming up this morning and even with such a cloudy sky, the tree seemed to have a light shining from within its' leaves.  I was told it was planted by a couple who moved to this house when they retired from farming and brought the dogwood seedling with them from their farm. 

Speaking of planting, I must plant the garden soon as I'm certain we will go from "cool and wet spring" to "hot summer" within days.  The long term forecast seems to indicate such a meteorological event.  In the meantime, I made a batch of chili this afternoon for dinner and a pumpkin pie... both at Hubby's request.  We may as well take advantage of cool weather cooking (although I have promised him chili even in July and August).

I plan to be back on Saturday and Sunday... with or without pictures.  :)

3 comments:

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Glad you got your walk in...how is your eye recovering?

Sorry about your computer, too. Sigh...I hate when that happens.

I am enjoying all the beautiful dogwoods around here - sadly I don't have one but I am going to get one someday! I love them all but the deep pink is my favorite!

I'm off this evening to our homeschool convention!

Deanna

Rebecca said...

I agree about the beautiful, blossoming trees! I guess every spring strikes me as more beautiful then others I remember. This spring is no exception to that! I somehow have forgotten how many trees bloom before they green up! I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Vee said...

Strange weather down there for sure. "Dogwood Winter" is a new term to me. We have finally come to "normal" I think. Your walk sounds pleasant so pleasant even past the swamp and the angry mama goose. Have you ever seen the Pinterest sign that says something like this: I now realize that I spent an inordinate amount of time worrying about quicksand. : D