Thursday, January 17, 2013

Warm cookies and cold weather

I've been thinking of cookies lately so when Stephanie told me she was making chocolate chip cookies yesterday, I knew they were to be in my near future, too.  It had been cold and snowy in New England so she was making cookies for her kids and the neighbor girls... it was a snow day (how I used to love those days in my childhood).

The snow missed us on its' way east but it is quite cold here... and warm chocolate chip cookies sounded perfect.  How lovely to have the warm cookies waiting after the dishes were all washed and drying in the Rubbermaid drainer... and yes, I did have to take extra insulin. I don't allow myself such treats very often.  :)

I have loved cooking since I was a child but I think it is when baking that I truly lose myself in the kitchen.  Just the alchemy of mixing butter and sugar and flour and eggs and a few other various ingredients to create something delicious can bring a smile to the baker and the recipients of the baked goods. 

Although putting together a soup or stew is similar as the combinations seem almost infinite in their possibilities.  While my winter soups and stews are usually made with root veggies, summer soups are straight from the garden or farmer's market.  Someday I want to try making the berry champagne soup like we had at a tea room in Virginia.

This type of cooking is completely different than that which comes about when I look at the clock and am quite shocked to see if is 4:30 or 5:00.  During those times, I often find myself with the refrigerator door open, rather hoping for some divine inspiration for dinner.  The closest thing I ever receive to such inspiration is when there are some really lovely leftovers to warm up.

Last night I made a crustless quiche (my friend, Jewels', recipe).  It, too, makes it possible to pull out of the refrigerator all kinds of ingredients to add to that basic custard recipe... mushrooms just beginning to look old, thinly sliced ham, half a red onion, and half a package of cheddar cheese. 

So what am I having for dinner tonight?  That is a good question.  I wonder if I could talk Hubby into cold milk and cookies?

Picture:  John Bull Cooking Housewife; allposters.com

11 comments:

Rebecca said...

Any possibility you could share your friend's crustless quiche recipe?!?

Anonymous said...

Funny you should mention cookies ... I was just getting ready to bake some peanut blossoms (peanut butter cookies with a chocolate kiss in the middle) after reading your blog! We have some severe winter weather coming our way, so as far as main dishes go, they will have to be hot and filling. I'm thinking sloppy joes, homemade baked mac & cheese, and chicken pot pie are all in our near future (not at the same time, of course!) (-:)
-Joy

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

It sounds so very cozy and delicious Brenda! I can almost smell those cookies! Enjoy your rare treat and eat one in my honor if you will!
Love,
Tracey
XoX

Anonymous said...

lol.
Fresh homemade chocolate chip cookies sound good though.

Front Porch Grace said...

You really captured the feeling of treating yourself on a cold winter's day. Something about cold weather seems to give me license to bake to my heart's content. We seem to have a treat at least twice a week.

Enjoy yourself and I hope you found some ingredients that just threw themselves together to make a heartwarming meal.

But, I am with you-cookies and milk make for a fine meal.

:-)

Front Porch Grace said...

You really captured the feeling of treating yourself on a cold winter's day. Something about cold weather seems to give me license to bake to my heart's content. We seem to have a treat at least twice a week.

Enjoy yourself and I hope you found some ingredients that just threw themselves together to make a heartwarming meal.

But, I am with you-cookies and milk make for a fine meal.

:-)

Judy said...

Cookies and milk for dinner - if cocoa beans count as vegetables (plant material), it sounds like you've a balanced meal planned!!!!! Good luck debating that!

Anonymous said...

Our cold wave just broke - it was 75 today. No warm cookies for me. I love them for dinner, myself! Breakfast is also ok. Enjoy!

Connie

Vee said...

You could talk me into it very easily. I always admire the gals who know exactly what is for supper every night of the week and each meal builds upon the one before it. I'm not one of them. I'm glad that you enjoyed baking the cookies and eating them on such a cold winter's day.

Buttercup said...

You took me back to cold winter days in Connecticut and my mother mixing and baking and the lovely aroma of just baked cookies. Thanks!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Kyle baked chocolate chip cookies on Tuesday! It was a surprise when I came home from the store! He did a good job, with his sister's supervision of course!

Thanks for the chatter about food - I've needed some ideas for meals.

Deanna