Sunday, November 04, 2012

Sunday Afternoon Tea


The harvest has passed in this Year of Our Lord 2012.

It is definitely my favorite time of the year as I often take the scenic route to and from my home in the country.  Usually I want to get "in town" fast so my car seems to know to turn right at the stop sign and begin the shorter route... through the forest... past the lake... around the subdivision... and then coming to the stop light at the Highway.

However, in the season of Harvest, I stop... look both ways... and go straight... passing barns and horses and sheep and sunflowers and trees in full color and... the golden stalks of feed corn as it dries in the field.

Every year the harvest teaches me about hope... about faith... about patience... and mostly it teaches me about life coming from the seeds we plant.  Just to think that each stalk of the corn will become life-giving food to animals come winter (for the corn to feed people has long ago been harvested), started its' journey with the farmer planting one seed at a time in the ground.

I am in the Harvest season of life as my children have grown and are both married... watching the results of seeds planted from that first day I walked through feet of snow into our small house, carrying a newborn Stephanie... and twelve years later bringing home of all things, a boy! 

I am very blessed as both my children walk with the Lord, both married into families who also live Christ centered lives, and now knowing my grandchildren are raised for Him.  I almost cried when Elisabeth texted me one Sunday and asked if I had gone to church that day.  I responded that I don't go these days, it is that fatigue thing again.  She replied back, "But you DO read your Bible, don't you?".  I was happy to say YES but even happier she asked.  :)

The thing is, I did do some good planting into the lives of my children.  I chose to follow Him as a teenager, I chose to make Him first, I chose to stay in my marriage when living with someone who is bi-polar would send me running for chocolate (oh, yes... and into the Word), I chose to not become bitter when bad things happened, and I chose to do a lot of praying.

I am also an imperfect person living in a very imperfect world.  There were times I pulled up good seed with words spoken in haste.   My decisions at times caused pain and discomfort to others, although when made they seemed right at the time.    There were times I was so adamant about being right only to find out I... wasn't.

But looking back I've figured something out about parenting and friendships and family.  It's really all about Grace.  Just as the farmer was obedient in planting the seed and taking care of the soil, he had to depend on God's sun and God's rain and when the rain didn't come... God's Grace.

Doesn't that take a burden off our shoulders?  If God gives life to a grain of corn, think of what He does in our lives and with our family.  I realized long ago that I must do the best I can and follow Him but I will never please everyone.  I don't have to be a perfect wife, or mother, or family member, or friend.  Which is a good thing as that is impossible.

However, as I follow Him personally the best I can... and point others to know He is the Way and the Truth and the Life... and Love personified... bathing the journey in prayer... the harvest will be beautiful.

We are promised someday to wear a crown and to rule and reign with Him.  I kinda' like the idea of a pretty tiara but my true reward will be to look around and see the faces of those I love... and we will all finally be perfect.  :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brenda, Oh my, can I relate to this post! As usual, beautifully said. Tears in my eyes as I thought back through the years and related with much of what you shared. Blessings dear one, Pam (SD)

Kimberly said...

We need that grace!
BTW-I readjusted the blog again. Do you mind popping over & letting me know if it works now?

DALowe Artist said...

I can't express how much i needed these words tonight. The burden of being perfect is too much to carry. Navigating through this life is beyond me. It is only God and His Mercy and Grace by which i stand. Thanks for reminding me.

Vee said...

Oh me...I've been in all these places...oh, except for bringing home a boy twelve years later. He came home just two and a half years later. Your conversation with your granddaughter is so touching. She really is just checking in to make sure that all is well with your spirit. What a sweetheart.

Enjoy those drives. I don't always take the shortcut either.

Keri said...

This was beautiful. And it was just what I needed to hear tonight. I'm feeling a bit heavy with the realization that I haven't been as diligent as I should be in certain aspects of my childrens' (ages 4, 6 and 8) spiritual training. My husband and I just discussed some strategies for moving forward in these areas, but I was beating myself up over it nonetheless. Thank you for the reminder of God's grace.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

God's grace...abundant and free though we don't always partake of it!

I often thought it was up to me to see that my kids walked with the Lord. I have learned that while it is my place to instruct them and to be a living example - it it God's work - to draw men unto Himself! Grace indeed!

Beautiful post!

Deanna

Susan said...

Lovely words of encouragement and grace. We just can't speak of it enough, can we? Grace upon grace for every situation. Thank you for Sunday afternoon teas, and God bless you and yours.

Jeanneke said...

Beautiful post; thank you so much for sharing!
Blessings,

Jeanneke.

Anonymous said...

Brenda,
Such a beautiful post. You have said we read "to know we are not alone". Your post encourages us when we know others go through trials and we feel so "unperfect".
God's grace is sufficient in our weakness.
Blessings, Sharon D.

terricheney said...

I needed this post this evening. I've been mulling over some things that are ongoing in our lives at the moment and wondered if words I spoke in haste killed the seed...I have regrets, true, but God will love me through this time as He has loved me through my better times.