Thursday, October 20, 2011

Wind, rain, and lots of cooking!

Colder weather makes for lots of time in the kitchen!
The weather here would have put Pooh and the Hundred Acre Woods in a tizzy!  It has been absolutely freezing (at least it seems that way after higher than normal temps) and blustery and rainy... quite dreadful for even walking to get the mail.

We had to run a few errands yesterday but today has been spent indoors where it is warm and cozy.  So far I have made chicken noodle soup over the weekend and chicken veggie soup yesterday... and pumpkin bars today (that recipe... here).  They are one of our favorite autumn desserts and very easy.

Christopher called on Sunday with a voice so raspy, I could hardly hear him.  He ended up driving home and propping a pillow up on the family room sofa to watch TV and eat homemade soup and drink hot tea.  He said he could feel life coming back after two bowls of the chicken noodle soup.  It is a good thing when a college student lives close enough for Mom's cooking.

He felt well enough by Monday night to drive into Chicago with his best friend to represent the University at a computer conference.  Well, they actually drove to one of the train stations and parked their car there to take the train into Union Station. The weather there has been worse than it has been here with windows being blown out of a high rise from gale force winds.

My other child has also been sick but I could only offer emotional support and encouragement.  So far we haven't figured a way to send chicken noodle soup through the phone.  :)

This evening I am curling up with a blanket on the sofa (and perhaps a cat) to re-read a favorite Goudge book.  It is that kind of evening... brrrrr.

Note:  Sorry for the dark photo but even with the flash that is as bright as I could get it.  The kitchen lights are not repaired, yet.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your kitchen looks so cosy, especially with the touches of red and the pumpkin tea towel.

Vee said...

It's a very nice, cozy picture of your kitchen. Don't apologize.

It's been rainy and cold here as well. I hope that you're sending your weather due east. I don't want anymore of what we've had.

Hope that everyone is on the mend. Those first sore throats and colds of the season knock one off his/her pins.

Morning's Minion said...

I'm, wondering which favorite Goudge book you have chosen--they are such comforting reads--no matter how many times I return to them. Pilgrim's Inn and The White Witch are my favorites.

Maggie from Stillness at Cherith said...

This sounds cozy...
I would love some of that homemade soup as whatever is going around has decided to visit me!
Hope you and yours are feeling well soon.

Anonymous said...

GREAT POST I LOVE YOUR KITCHEN..AND YES HERE IN HOLLAND ITS FREEZES AND LIFE IS INDOORS..BUT I HAVE TO GO OUT TO WORK..SO I HAVE MANY TIMES TO GO THRUE THE SNOW...I LOVE YOUR BLOG AND YOUR INSPIRATION..GOD BLESS YOU MY FRIEND...

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I loved what Christopher said! Hope he is feeling much better and Stephanie too!

We have also been rainy and blustery...the kind of days to hunker down with tea, and a good book. I am reading the third book of Beverly Lewis' The Rose Trilogy. It's good.

Tomorrow I must go out, so I hope the weather is better...stay warm and well!

Deanna

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

ps - I forgot to say that I think your kitchen is very cheery...love the red, of course!

Deanna

Catherine said...

My kitchen is very busy too now that cooler temps are here. I love making soups and stews. Nothing better than chicken soup for colds and flu.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Brenda,
what a beautiful surprise!!!
I keep looking at my blog and I keep saying myself "I have to start again..." but I'm so busy.

How glad I am you contacted me again.

Take care and keep in touch

br.Freddie

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Isn't it nice to be able to make chicken soup for sick children. I just made it last week for Alice who is recovering from pneumonia. And now her husband has it! At least he is diagnosed and on antibiotics. Alice was really sick, telling me, "Mom, it sounds like pouring milk over Rice Crispies when I breathe".
A good time to curl up with a good book here too...But it doesn't feel altogether wrong for this time of year!
I love all the warm colors in your kitchen. Just what we need now!

sherry said...

your kitchen looks so inviting, brenda. through the blogosphere i can drink in the aroma of chicken soup and sense your nurturing touch. beautiful.

yesterday i made sweet potato spice muffins. it was 85 degrees out (bah!!!) but i made something autumny anyway.

blessings,
"jAne"

Anonymous said...

Your kitchen looks so pretty and cozy. I can sure see why you'd love working in it. I hope everyone is feeling much better now. Isn't it wonderful God designed a change of seasons. I sure would not like hot summers all the time! :) Each of His seasons has such beauty in it too. No matter how many years we live we still look forward to the next one. Sarah