Thursday, August 04, 2011

I really am still here


Ever since the lightening strike and subsequent gas line near miss (I still find that a miracle), it seems like life has been turned upside down.  Add to that classes are starting soon so this weekend is when Christopher moves to his own apartment near campus which.... for the most part... means he is moving out for good!... I barely have time to breath.

He is moving most of his things out and leaving behind what there is no room for at the apartment.  He will take the rest of his belongings next spring when he gets married.  However, my instructions were for him to take as much as possible now so I can begin the transformation of his former room.  ;)

My sister, Bonnie, asked me if I was going to have a difficult time letting go.  I think she was shocked when I said something like absolutely not!  I went through all of that last year this time when he was moving out to live on campus (but then moved back for the second semester).  Anyway... he lives near campus... about fifteen minutes from our house.

Miss M. came over on Tuesday to help sort through his "stuff" (and helped him assemble three garbage bags to throw out) and I have been sorting through kitchen items for him to take... those I had been saving and a few Goodwill finds we came across. 

He and I are to continue going through his closet as I talk him into help him decide what can be given to charity.  The way he gets attached to stuff, I wouldn't be surprised to see him on Hoarders someday, except he is marrying a compulsive cleanie (hehehe).

Everything still looks upside down here, too.  We are hoping to get the final paperwork into the insurance agency tomorrow.  There is a phrase I have told myself over and over in the past when I've been in the midst of a trial or chaos... This too shall pass.  I keep thinking of cooler days ahead with my kitchen once again light and cozy and a nice pot of soup simmering on the stove and no fried appliances littering the rooms.  :)

I do plan to be here on Sunday and I should be back to regular chatting soon.  There are also letters to write, (I am so sorry for those I owe a letter!), and books to read, etc.

13 comments:

Monica said...

There is a lot going on for everyone I think. You are in our prayers and we know the Lord holds your hand! Bless you!

matty said...

It will pass, trust me! Such a lot to deal with at one time. Make sure you drink a lot of water and rest frequently! (I don't know why I wrote that except the Airman says it to me all the time...)

What are your plans for the new "spare" room??

Anonymous said...

You are such a lovely person and an inspiration to those of us who face challenges (who doesn't?). Yours is the blog that I have followed the longest and the first one that I would want to check if I lost my internet. Thank you.

LauraC

Scrappy quilter said...

Thinking of you often. Lots going on at your place...hope you can get some rest and relaxation through it all. Can't wait to see what you do with that extra room...quilts in the making maybe. Hugs

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

It is lovely to hear from you again, Brenda, but I really see you have so much going on that it is a miracle of sorts that are ever able to find time to sit down and blog! May all go well, and remember first of all to take care of yourself. You have to do that first so you can do anything else......But you know that better than I do, I'm sure!

Rebecca said...

Enjoyed the update (and I can identify with your "absolutely not"!

Hoping with you that the insurance details & compensation are finalized quickly and generously.

It's good that you leave some time to read & "be" in the middle of all the activity...

Helen said...

It takes such a long time to totally recover from life-changing events, and here you've had 2 right in a row and you're working on a 3rd with your son moving out. Even when it's a GOOD life-changing event it still upends your bench just a litte.

I'm also amazed that you find the energy and time to blog at all; I'm so grateful that your blog is here to read. It really helps me reflect and focus for the day when I read what you have to say.

Hope that your life gets to calm water soon! Praying for you.

Mama Squirrel said...

Thanks for continuing to post through the tough times! Take care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

What are your plans for the spare room? A guest room? A room for you?

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Wishing you strength for the tasks at hand... and joy for the journey. We'll look forward to Sunday's post!

still rejoicing too in your 'miracle'!

Jae-Jae said...

It always makes my day to read your writings. Thanks for taking the time to post. Praying that things are soon back to normal in your household. Surely God is holding you in his hand.

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

You are doing such a good job of holding and pulling it all together...despite the (huge!) obstacles that keep getting thrown in your path. Your happy can~do attitude is an inspiring pleasure! You're all in our best thoughts and prayers (as always).
Love,
Tracey
x0x

Anonymous said...

I thought it would be harder when my youngest left last month. But GOD does give us the grace we need. She also is about 15 minutes away...and comes by some...that helps. My older 2 they left and then it was a VERY long time until I saw them again. That is harder. But sometimes with distance in this country, that is not unavoidable. I am finding joy in having more room in the house to do with too.

Elizabeth