Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Homemade tahini and Israeli salad

Well, Blogger is not letting me upload my garden pictures so I thought I'd share this recipe for tahini from Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood (a library book which is now on my Wish List).  :)

She says tahini can be hard to find at stores in the country so she included this recipe in her Georgia Pate recipe (which she calls hillbilly hummus as it uses boiled peanuts).

Homemade Tahini
1 cup toasted sesame seeds
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Blend together (I assume this means in a blender) and store in refrigerator up to two weeks.

Yes, you must try the Jerusalem Salad.  It is delicious.  I first tried it at one of the Mediterranean restaurants near campus.  

There is another similar dish which is called Israeli Salad, which is (or so I have read) the official salad of Israel and included in their daily meals.  I haven't made it but I plan to soon. 

It is very much like the Jerusalem Salad but it also includes onions and it has a lemon and extra virgin olive oil dressing (and does not use tahini).  I did a little searching and found a recipe that is simple but does not include the onions most recipes call for... here.

I'm working on the Recommendations List... slowly but surely.  It is taking awhile but as with most things in my life... it does get accomplished "a little bit at a time".  ;)

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

I make my tahini in the food processor. Works great!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the Tahini recipe. Sometimes a health food store will have it but usually it is hard to find.
Looking forward to your Recommendations list. Summer holidays are coming. :)

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Thanks for the recipe!

I thought the Jerusalem salad looked great - especially for summer - very fresh! Soon our cucumbers and tomatoes will be plentiful and we will give this a try...

Kim said...

Thanks for commenting at my blog. I wondered how the dry beans would do. I'm going to look around and see if I can find some. I get my other dry beans at a Brazilian store, so I may be able to find them there.

I love your blog. You are an inspiration to me; although, I have probably never said that before. You motivate me to look for the beauty in ordinary life and look for ways to cut corners wherever possible. We are taking a hit financially with the yen/dollar exchange and so I am learning to be creative frugally more than ever!

Heather L. said...

Finally bought tahini yesterday (it is so expensive!!) and will have to try the Jerusalem salad soon!! I'm glad to know I can just make some tahini sometime!!!! We've made Israeli salad since Christina and I travelled as teenagers to Israel but I think I might like this Jerusalem salad as a change.