Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Postscripts

While the temperatures were on the chilly side today, it still felt like Spring... perhaps the angle of the sun or just the feel of the breeze?  Whatever the reason, it was quite welcome. There is snow in the forecast for later this week but at least once March arrives... it will melt quickly.  :)

I had to meet Christopher at the library by campus early this evening to give him workout clothes and books he ended up needing for later tonight.  On the New Nonfiction shelf was Condoleezza Rice's book Extraordinary, Ordinary People: A Memoir of Family.  So excited it was there as I've wanted to read it for awhile.  This month (so far) looks like mostly nonfiction reading except for one novel waiting patiently.

Oh, thanks for the suggestion about listening to Jan Karon's latest book on audio!  I hadn't thought of that at all but it is an excellent idea for books with "accents".  I loved listening to the Hank the Cowdog books on CD, just to hear that West Texas drawl (I think I read... somewhere... that the author didn't read the later audio CDs, though).

I watched Ann Voskamp talk about her book on 100 Huntley Street today (a Canadian Christian TV show we can see on the NRB Channel in the States).  Part one of her interview is here... and Part two here.  It was an excellent interview.  Oh, yes... I know someone answered the question in comments but Ann's blog is A Holy Experience... here.

I also forgot to answer a previous comment question about how I handle mice in the garage since my pantry shelves are there.  They were quite active when we first moved here but keeping mouse poison on the shelves (all shelves where a kitty would find it hard to go) as well as many years of said kitties living here has brought about much less mouse activity.

Having said that... I keep my extra packages of various sugars and items which come in plastic packages in two big Rubbermaid containers on the bottom shelf.  Items which come in boxes like cereal, whole wheat pancake mix, etc. are kept on higher shelves and so far I haven't had any trouble (finding wood to knock on there...).

I store my wheat in plastic pails and my oats are in small Rubbermaid style containers.  Such food acts as magnets to varmints if they are in easy reach.  A few other items are kept in what would now be called "vintage" large Tupperware containers... but they weren't vintage when I bought them.  Sigh...

Some items come inside when it gets very hot and humid... like anything with chocolate.  Not that anything with chocolate lasts long on my shelves regardless.  ;)

I love, love, love getting your e-mails and I really do read them all when they arrive.  I just don't get back as fast to respond but if you have written... someday when you least expect it... there will be an e-mail from me and you'll try to remember... who, what, where???

Picture:  Rose Bouquet teacup; allposters.com

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a beautiful Tea cup!

Catsngrams said...

I love your blog. The books that you suggest are always so good. Thanks for the storage info also.
Your the best

Carol said...

Brenda:
Thank you so much for the links to Ann Voskamp's TV interview. I would not have known about it otherwise. (in MD)

Fixing My Thoughts said...

Hi Brenda, just wanted to let you know that I mention you (and others) in my latest post. I so enjoy your writing! Bess

Bobbi said...

Thank you for all you share. Love the picture of the tea cut. That picture is actually on my living room wall. I get to hear your dear friend Sally speak this weekend here in NC.

Thoughts for the day said...

I store most of my 'perishable wheats etc' in the refrigerator or the freezer. Just so they don't get bugs. I love the picture of your cat, I am a cat person and that one seems to have an 'attitude'?
The tea cups are always beautiful. Good blog.

Anonymous said...

Is there a safe way to store things in those I guess they are ,new 5 gallon paint buckets from Home Depot..that have the lids? I have a thingie to open them already. I know they are not food grade but what if things were put into food grade plastic then into the buckets? ...Foodsaver bags then the buckets? I am thinking of a bag of wheat berries and oats and such in different bags in the same bucket. I know the food grade buckets can be bough on the net with the good lids, I just have a source of the others cheap and local. Sarah

Lallee said...

I'm listening to the audio of Karon's latest book now. The reader is wonderful!