Thursday, May 06, 2010

The war against weeds


I know you have heard me moan and groan about weeds... but take a look below.


 These are just a few weeds pulled from here...


 I should explain (again) that our property is at the edge of a forest and... I am sure... the forest continues to make every attempt to reclaim it.


The fence line has never seen growth like this (at least since we've lived here).


The forest has even begun to take over the area by the deck...


See that yellow ummmm.... flower?  In a nearby field there are hundreds of them (thousands?) appearing as a beautiful field of yellow.  In my yard it is a weed.


The above is the area of the garden where the two remaining small raised beds will go.  The forest has already tried to take it back.

The forest is winning the war this year.  Be afraid.  Be very afraid.  Sigh...

10 comments:

matty said...

LOL! Have you ever considered that every fairy tale has someone going into the woods?? Hmmmmmm.....

Loks said...

Things always seem so overwhelming this time of year, You must remain patient and work at a speed you can handle. The job will get done.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

We take weeds out of our gardens and yard by the wheelbarrowful! We have started to make compost, and we through them in there! I can at least make them work for me in that way!

I understand your sigh...

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness is that mustard?? Pull it before I have an allergy attack ! We had a field full of it years back and the neighbor boy ended up with asthma and I became extremely ill all spring ending in pneumonia, my grandma had to leave within a few hours because she felt so ill, and she'd never been allergic to anything before. Now it is plow and pull and mow around here , that stuff is vicious but so lovely and tastes good as greens EARLY in the spring How is your husband feeling? I have very little allergy problems now that THAT stuff is gone.

Beck's Bounty said...

Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "A weed is a plant whose virtues are as yet undiscovered."

I giggle and remind myself of this when my weeding chores get a bit behind. HA !

Tammy

Lallee said...

Brenda, you know I am familiar with the same war. I still have areas to finish.......meanwhile new weeds are popping up where I have already weeded. This is one job that just never stops.

I hope Christopher is doing better. Prayers for him, and always for you.

Hugs,
Lallee
PS The new red glass looks beautiful in the sunlight.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I feel your pain and I don't even have a forest close by! It's all that rain we've gotten. Yard work is like housework - never ending!

Manuela

Nana Trish is Living the Dream said...

The flowers on your deck are so beautiful! I love the pretty colors. I would love to sit out on the deck with you this morning and share a pot of coffee. Listen to the birds and just talk. I'm so happy it's Friday!!! Too bad we're hundreds of miles apart.

lighting said...

My weeds are defiantly weeds, yours look like plants! Everything looks so nice and green.

Susan Humeston said...

Living in South Florida and now heading into the rainy,a.k.a., jungle season- I SO commiserate. The weeds often win here - at least for a while.....