Friday, February 12, 2010

I need a nap

I awoke to our local meterologist saying it was 4 degrees, found out later here in the country it was actually -2 degrees.  Not that the six degree difference would feel all that balmy.  The forest was breathtaking in the sparkle left behind after a night of hoar frost (aka: ice fog).

Christopher had called me at 3:00 in the morning (yes, you read that correctly... AM!) after studying almost all night and then walking one of his study partners to her dorm.  Neither of us had expected heavy ice fog but that is what met him in the parking lot.  It must have been there awhile, he had a terrible time scraping the ice off the window.  He asked if I'd stay up until he arrived home so he could let us know if he ran into trouble since visibility was near zero.  Yawn... sure.

I was quite relieved when he walked in the door, so was he.  He was met with a cup of hot tea (Lipton's Bedtime Story).  I felt somewhat like Peter Rabbit's mother having chamomile tea prepared for him.  I vaguely remember chatting while sipping tea and then falling back into bed... I heart my pillow.

Both of my kids knew they could call home at any time of the night although what level of parental alertness meeting them could not be guaranteed.  We lived closer to campus when Stephanie attended the University and she had less very late nights... mainly when important design projects were due (which became more common as the semesters came to an end).

Collegiate sleep deprivation is famous... infamous... with science and engineering students. 

I had already stayed up late finishing The Scent of Water, which I enjoyed very much.  I'm thankful for the many recommendations that I "must read" that book during my "month of Goudge".  It is definitely on my "re-read" list.  One of the aspects of Goudge's writing I love is her ability to show life as it can be... difficult at times with various levels of suffering... and turn it into a story one would call "lovely".

I have started re-reading my ancient copy of Hidden Art (The Hidden Art of Homemaking in paperback) for my shortened "Month of Edith Schaeffer".  I first read this book as a bride and have re-read it at least once every year since then.  I was in high school when the book was written by Edith in a Swiss Chalet and now I'm a grandmother to four and a half.  As I read the familiar words this morning, I was again inspired to remember God as the Creator... we were made in His image so that we must create.

Some people have told me the book is dated.  Yes... one can certainly say that.  But I still feel it is one of the best books about Christian living, creativity, and making a home available nearly forty years later.  The message is timeless.

I felt well enough this morning to have a late breakfast with my husband at our favorite restaurant in our old neighborhood.  He asked what I wanted for Valentine's day and it was... breakfast out.  As this restaurant can be packed on weekday morning, we decided Friday would be much more relaxing.

I delayed taking my morning antibiotic so I'd enjoy our time together.  By the time we had run two errands, I was staying in the car with my eyes closed just wanting my sofa.  I let him go into Wal Mart alone.  I never let him loose in Wal Mart alone.

This round of antibiotics had better work!

Picture: Over the kitchen sink... taken last week

10 comments:

Debby said...

Take care of yourself over the weekend. Enjoy what life brings!

My "plans": to have a peaceful, relaxing weekend, at least one day...I really need one!

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Get WELL dear Brenda.

Love,

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green island

Becky K. said...

I agree that it is time for you to be on the mend. I'll keep you in my prayers. My Dad had diabetes and it certainly does add a different twist on your whole life. Praying that God helps those antibiotics to do their job.

Hugs,

Becky K.

Kay said...

I was thinking I need a year of Elisabeth Elliot this year. I miss her daily broadcasts.

myletterstoemily said...

sure hope you get to feeling better!

Anonymous said...

Brenda, thank you for defining 'hoar frost.' As a native Texan, I have had no idea what it was, seeing the term in other posts.
Yes, I know exactly what it's like to stay up in wee hours. Since our big snow yesterday, my son started a new job this morning; he had to leave at 3 a.m. and travel 30 miles over the snow-packed roads to be there at 4. He arrived at 4:30; I prayed the whole time, built a fire in the stove, and began "The Resurrection File" by Craig Parshall. Husband bought "The Real George Washington" (National Center for Constitutional Studies) that I plan to read next.
Hope you are feeling better tonight.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Brenda,

I love the Hidden Art book by Edith Schaffer! So good! It is one of the books that I will have my daughters read as part of their education.

Rest well and I am praying that you will recover soon!

Vee said...

Such a cozy photo... Four and a half? Oh my! Somewhere along the way, I've missed that wonderful news. May this weekend be a relaxing one for you with naps and pillows, sofas and books, tea (chamomille, but of course) and lovely conversation.

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling much better!!

I must say I think your window treatment is most attractive...would not have thought of doing both window toppers together that way...very cute! And homey feeling too!!
Elizabeth

Kay said...

I'm back to tell you I just read The Scent of Water - Elizabeth Goudge. L.o.v.e.d it! It touched something inside me... a quiet, soulful place. I'll be looking for her other books.