Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A few comments on comments

Here are a few "comments" about recent comments and e-mails (I still have not been able to respond to e-mails but I should be able to soon).

I am planning another Warm and Cozy book recommendation in a couple of weeks. Be thinking again of any books and movies you can think of that have scenes of cozy times together... food, family time, friendships, needlework, children, gardening, reading, cozy room scenes... etc. Essentially good books of any genre that make us feel warm and cozy when we read them. :)

I am going to ask for your favorite biographies and autobiographies later in the season. The link to the original list of warm and cozy books is on the sidebar... the picture of the warm and cozy room.


Stephanie posted the recipe she is using for Sticky Toffee Pudding... here. She also has a new post about their England trip since this one but this contains that recipe that will be perfect for tea time. :)

Yes, I "see" all comments even if they are given on a very old post. This blog has moderated comments so I have to read them before they are published. I still receive all comments on the recipe blog via e-mail.

Thank you so much for all the feedback on the Julie and Julia movie. I am such a big fan of Julia Child and I'm looking forward to seeing the movie when it comes out on DVD (right now seeing a film at the theater is not a budget option) and I'll disregard the small amount of "language".

I had heard that Julia did not like the book Julie and Julia at all and would never give it a recommendation. I hadn't heard she was upset about the bad language but it doesn't surprise me. I watched the PBS special over the weekend that showed two of the French Chef original shows (two of my favorites... her omelet show and her chicken show).

Those French Chef shows are wonderful for family viewing, they are so amusing at times that older kids will enjoy them while learning basic cooking technique. I used to watch them with Stephanie when she was a child. Both volume 1 and volume 2 are available through Amazon.

Yes... when I typed the directions for roasting zucchini and other summer squash, I forgot my oven bakes on the hotter side. I expect roasting it for 20 to 25 minutes is a good thing! Roasting is my favorite way to fix a lot of veggies.

Regarding coupons... I find a lot of good coupons in the Sunday newspaper. However, the best coupons are found online. I'll write more about that later but one suggestion is to go to the website of your favorite product manufacturers and see if they offer e-mail updates. Many of my $1.00 coupons come directly from the product pages.

And finally for today... below is a recipe for squash that Matty left on the comments. It looks yummy. Matty sent me the honey and soap from her "girls". :)

A squash casserole recipe to die for!

Take 4-5 med. size squash, slice lengthwise and remove seeds.

Parboil squash, sans seeds, until fork tender.

While the squash is boiling, mix:
1 c. chopped tomatoes
1/2 c. chopped onions

Stir fry in olive oil until onions are clear.

Take this mixture and combine with:

1/2 c. bread crumbs (I use Italian flavored)

1 c. grated cheddar cheese

Drain the squash; fill with mixture, sprinkle with basil, and bake for 15 minutes at 350.

Eat and be surprised that THIS IS SQUASH!

A student's mother gave me this recipe and we can't get enough of it!

Enjoy!

Matty

6 comments:

Carina said...

Hi Brenda!

I don't often comment, but I do check in with you daily! You are a nice respite from my life as a mom of 4 young children.

I just wanted to let you know that the reason Julia did not like the BLOG Julie and Julia(She never read the book.)is because she felt that Julie did not take her cookbook seriously and that book was a long labor of loven for her.

As for the foul language (which I agree was not necessary) that was not offensive to Julia. She was known amongst her friends for some colorful language (I don't want to repeat the words on your sweet blog.) as well as "giving the bird" to someone who frustrated her. Julia was a wonderful person, but was known to be a bit umm... coarse.

You can read more about Julia's "vibrant" personality on the blog sites of her fellow chefs who had the privilege of knowing her personally. Dorie Greenspan has been doing some great posts on memories of Julia as well as providing links to other chefs' memories.) I can send you the links to the articles if you are interested.

Anyway, I hope that doesn't take away from your enjoyment of Julia. She was a wonderful cook even if not quite what you may have imagined! ;)

Thanks again for such a lovely blog!

matty said...

You are so sweet to include my recipe! I am flattered!

Hope you have had grand day! I returned to work today; it was difficult to be gone all day from the farm. The gals missed me! :)

And, when I got home, my son was cooking dinner -- yummers!

Have a grand evening! Matty

Anonymous said...

I also love Julia! Have you ever seen the British cooking show "Two Fat Ladies"? They haven't been on for years (I believe one passed away) but they were the best! I grew up watching cooking shows on PBS and now can't keep myself away from Food Network...or the kitchen. :o)

Have a very lovely, week!

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

Hi Brenda!

Congratulations on your third blog anniversary! I did love the movie Julie and Julia. I think Julia was probably a product of a cosmopolitan life and not as "grandmotherly" as she appeared, but I did love her show and Meryl Streep did an outstanding portrayal of her on the screen. And as for that squash recipe--I can't wait to try it. Most of Julia's recipes are just a little complicated for me!

I hope you'll check out my blog partner "C"'s new post on Emily Post and the subject of vintage etiquette--I think you'll like it! And there's going to be a giveaway soon! V.

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe. It sounds great!!
Lisa in Texas = )

carla said...

Brenda, I reviewed "Julie and Julia" on my new blog. I'd love for you all to come visit me there.