Monday, May 18, 2009

Gardening and writing

Someone (can't remember which blog friend) had noticed the pillow the tray was propped up against last week. I bought it for $3.00 at the Mission Thrift Store a few weeks ago, it is perfect for adding some "cream color" to that chair.

The blue wing back chair was purchased for another formal living room in another color scheme in the late 1990s... it is awaiting placement on the priority list to have it recovered. I think it will be waiting a long time. :)

However, the $3.00 pillow helps it blend in a little more to the deep greens and browns of this living room. It also makes me smile and my husband doesn't hate it.

I was able to pot everything for the deck on Saturday. Hubby built the two wood beds for the garden on our driveway yesterday afternoon. He will build a third later and have it ready for next spring.

We ended up using southern yellow pine on a recommendation from his best friend in Holland (Michigan). It is much less expensive than what we were originally looking at and he says it will hold up for years and years.

Today I must plant the Sweet Annie in the ground near the house, one of the few places it will receive lots of sunshine. I love Sweet Annie, the fragrance reminds me of the many times we traveled to The Feast of the Hunter's Moon and the shuttle bus ride back to the parking area was filled with the aroma of the Sweet Annie I would purchase... along with Bittersweet and a few other dried flowers.

I hope to get the book and film list completed today, working on it between outdoor chores. It's fun putting it together (slow going but very interesting) and I plan to keep a link to it permanently on the sidebar as well as asking for more ideas later.

Now, I must put my computer on sleep mode... lots to do and miles to go before I sleep. :)

6 comments:

Vee said...

"...and my husband doesn't hate it." Oh that makes me grin. So much of what I do around her falls into that category.

Can't wait to catch a glimpse of the raised beds. He's already built two? Was it an easy chore or a tedious one?

Scrappy quilter said...

I love the cushion...really pretty and it fits perfectly with the chair. Can't wait to see the raised beds and how they all turn out. have a wonderful day.

Mrs.B said...

What a pretty pillow.

Anonymous said...

When I mentioned the pretty pillow it reminded me of my cottage look here. It really caught my eye! Yes I too keep my hubby in mind when redoing things. Right now the front room is pretty much to his liking more than mind but he lets me do pretty much whatever I like elsewhere so who is to complain! :) When we did our wood garden boxes years and years ago we put them together with nails. Several years later they came apart as we should have used bolts. These held together much better. As the years went by and the wood rotted we replaced them with block boxes. By then though, we knew where the boxes would Always be and when we started with the wood it was a new thing and we were not sure of their placement in our yard. Watch that they are not too wide...you need to be able to reach easily to the center. Enjoy them...we never regretted going the box method. Just wanted to add my two cents. Jody

Melissa said...

I really like your pillow also!

Also, just letting you know that my friend Cindy (Our Journey Westward) and I have just launched a brand new company offering nature-themed e-book unit studies. We are having a giveaway to celebrate. We'd love to have you come visit.
www.homeschoolblogger.com/melissal89
http://ourjourneywestward.com

Blessings, Melissa

Tracy said...

Cute pillow. sounds like your busy. I've spent tons outside lately too.