Saturday, February 28, 2009

Just a little book talk

I don't know about you but even though I am an avid (obsessed?) reader, there are times I just can't read much. It doesn't happen often but I went through such a time this winter. I'm not certain what this malady is a sign of... perhaps melancholy or just a weariness of soul. It is during these seasons that I bury myself in the Psalms, listen to music, or watch either a British flick or an NCIS marathon (strange but I find both relaxing).

Thankfully, that is now behind me and hubby is once again complaining about stacks of books around the house (he keeps what he is reading on a small corner of the living room coffee table but he doesn't read four or five books at a time... poor guy... never developed the talent). If you take a look at my reading list on the sidebar (before I change it), you will see lots of books.

I finally read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaeffer and Annie Barrows. LOVED that book! It could easily become one of my all time favorite novels. It takes place in England just after WWII where the author is corresponding with different people from Guernsey about their experiences during the war. Any book about England and books and lovely people (the Brits... not the Nazis) would interest me but this is an exceptionally well written book. Don't let the letter format hinder you from reading it, you forget these are letters by page three.

Stephanie sent Stand; A Call for the Endurance of the Saints by John Piper and Justin Taylor to her brother as part of his get well package. Since I figured he is not up to reading yet (albeit I didn't ask), it found itself being read my Nurse Mom that very evening. It is a compilation of chapters written by well known Christian authors and pastors about enduring to the end and "finishing well". I have read the chapter by Randy Alcorn and found it... amazing. Great book.

One of the two books I purchased with Amazon credit last month was Food That Says Welcome by Barbara Smith (mother of Michael W. Smith). I've had it on my wish list for awhile and since it was available at a very inexpensive cost, decided to "go for it". I'm glad I did, Mrs. Smith has written a great cookbook about showing hospitality (most of the book is recipes). It turns out she was once a caterer and the recipes are excellent. There are a lot of recipes that can be made ahead and frozen... I like that.

From the library, I checked out Something Warm From the Oven by Elizabeth Goudge and Georgia Cooking From an Oklahoma Kitchen by Trisha Yearwood (and her sister). As mentioned already, it is my choice for Amazon credit this month and I've placed Goudge's cookbook on my list to order used. I've checked it out numerous times... it has lots and lots of good baking recipes.

I also read, no... lived in... all three volumes of The Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyzyn for a couple of weeks. I skimmed Mrs. Whaley's Charleston Kitchen by Emily Whaley and set it aside for a closer look later. It was the other book I bought with Amazon credit last month. I like the writing of her garden book better but this one has lots and lots of recipes. Her philosophy of cooking and entertaining is worth getting the book used, she was quite a colorful Southern lady. :)

As for my quiet time book, I took Holy Habits: A Woman's Guide to Intentional Living off the shelf again. Normally, I'll read a book that inspires me and then send it off to Stephanie. This one never made it to the Post Office. For a little book that cost me $1.50 used from the library, it could very well be one of the best inspirational and quiet time books I've ever read.

It is written by Mimi Wilson and Shelly Cook Volkhardt and I can't say enough good things about it. It is one of those rare Christian books that one from any denomination would enjoy. It is based on the scripture:

"TEACH US TO NUMBER OUR DAYS ARIGHT, THAT WE MAY GAIN A HEART OF WISDOM." PS. 90:12

The large section where the authors write about the "Names of God" was of particular interest to me. I spent one or two mornings on each chapter and I plan to go back and read sections over again. This is a wonderful, well written, full of scripture book.

I've also read one novel sent to me to review and I have another Thomas Nelson book to review, I'll post both of those next week. On my "books to be read" stack there is a library book about the life of Jack Hanna, fortunately I was able to renew it.

As for magazines... the Jan./Feb. issue of Backwoods Home magazine and the latest Victoria... now there is an odd couple. :)

7 comments:

Linds said...

I have been in the same kind of mood.....maybe it is winter which does it to us! But I am just finishing the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society at the moment, and I too am absolutely loving it.

I always have a huge pile of books and I am also reading the new John Ortberg book - Faith and Doubt. Excellent. And a book on allotment gardening here in the Uk. I need to get those veg seeds started soon.
The mood appears to be passing here too, thank Heavens.
Have a great weekend!

Cheri said...

Loved the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society as well.

Thanks for keeping us all inspired - not only to read but to live intentionally and carefully!

Scrappy quilter said...

I always have a book I'm reading. There is seldom a time I don't. We are all readers here so we keep the library hopping. You have a great list here. I'll have to see if I can find a couple.

Karen said...

Oh my goodness, the Guernsey book was so wonderful! (it makes me want to head right over there and look for everyone. That's the mark of a great fiction book!)

I'm glad to see you are posting more frequently and I am thrilled that you are feeling better.

blessings,
karen

Anonymous said...

Oh, oh, oh, I LOVE it when you post a list of books you are enjoying or have recently enjoyed. I always find a title or two (or 3, or 4....) that sound good to me.

Vee said...

You make me grin and you made me translate webdings, too! Now I so want to read the book about the Brits after WWII. It never ceases to amaze and amuse me that one person, whom I don't even know, critiques a book and I MUST read it. Thanks, Brenda!

Heather L. said...

Thanks for all the book reviews! I loved that Guernsey Potato Pie.....