Tuesday, January 27, 2009

You have got to hear this...

I don't remember the last time I posted three times in one day but this was too funny to pass up.

Christopher found out late last night that he had to act as an Ambassador at an important function "Downtown" very early this morning. So you must understand, he was operating on little sleep.

He called on his way to the car after the event to tell me he had just met four mayors, multiple dignitaries, and almost everyone who "was anybody" in the community. He also met someone else... um, I'll leave it for later.

He said everything had gone very well, so well that a distinguished looking gentleman asked if he wanted to stay and have breakfast with the dignitaries. He sat beside this man and they had quite the conversation, it turned out he lived in the neighborhood where our family often walked when we lived in the horrible town house. (Those apartments and townhouses were next to one of the nicest neighborhoods in town.)

He remember Christopher as walking with me quite often and said I used to stop and talk to his wife about her lovely garden. I knew exactly where they lived. I'm rather amazed he remembers Christopher as he has changed in looks a bit from that time.

Anyway, he knew the man was associated with the college he attends so he asked him what he did. The man smiled and told him he was the President of the college. He had no idea to whom he had just been eating breakfast with. :)

As I said to him (after nearly falling down laughing), that was probably a good thing because he could be himself and not be uptight. He had been having a very good conversation with dignitaries from the college (not to mention a few mayors and such here and there), including how the college can better understand homeschoolers (we are a unique people, that is for certain).

For those who have not read my blog long, we homeschooled through the junior year of high school with Christopher starting with one, then two classes at the college his junior year. Then we opted to pay for him to attend his senior year of high school by taking classes full time at the college. Now he is a freshman there (with 1 1/2 yrs of credits behind him) and received a scholarship and appointment to their program where outstanding students represent the college at such functions. He will transfer to the University in the fall (God willing).

I told him I was proud of him. One of my goals for both my kids was to prepare them to be comfortable in leadership rolls if God should call them to such responsibilities (and yes, it is important for Moms to have great leadership capabilities).

Stephanie was a born leader, or just a bossy first born girl... no, a born leader. :)

However, I pondered the conversation we had this morning as he was walking to the parking garage to leave for classes. I remembered the challenging days that led us to homeschool and the many times I was tempted to give up... especially as I endured temper tantrums (he doesn't like me to remember those), reading problems, math doldrums, typical ADHD behaviour... those days when molding the character of a child seemed impossible.

This morning proved it was all worth it... he appeared before "Kings" and did quite well. Although he won't forget who is the President of his college.

Now if he would only clean his room.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the homeschooling words of encouragement. I am schooling five - four with little problems (grades 9,6,3,2). But that fifth one - 10th grade, age 16. He does not want to do school and I am tempted to give up. I am praying - maybe he could take GED and go to the local community college here for a few semesters. You have so encouraged me not to give up. With gratitude in Jesus, Nancy

Anita said...

Congratulations, Christopher! I knew you had it in you. I love praying with and for young folks and seeing them live up to their potential. It must have been quite a morning for you. (I'm assuming he'll read your blog and all the wonderful comments that will come his way.)

Vee said...

Oh that is rich! I laughed out loud, but then, isn't this just like the Lord to allow this wonderful conversation without having Christopher be nervous?! What a great story!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Excellent Post!

Well, done Brenda. Your hard work and sacrifice for you son paid off!

Congratulations to Christopher, as well.

Musings of A Minister said...

Great story. Give my regards to your son. He sounds like my kind of guy. Stories like yours give me some hope for the future of this old country.

Susan B said...

How exciting for Christopher, and a job well done! You have every right to be proud of him. It's a wonderful story, thank you for sharing it.

Nana Trish is Living the Dream said...

That is wonderful about Christopher getting such a great opportunity. I know you must be so proud of him. He sounds like a great kid and I remember his graduation pictures and his nice party you gave him. I'm glad he didn't know who it was, as you said, he could be more relaxed. It sounds like he remembered you and Christopher. Isn't the Lord so good to us!

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO, CHRISTOPHER!!!!!
Now get in there and clean your room. :)
joanna, who needs to do the same thing, lol....

Lallee said...

What a great story. It sounds as though it was a divine appointment. Good job, Mama!