Thursday, July 31, 2008

Thursday night and no transcripts

It is almost bedtime and I haven't started putting together the needed information. It will have to wait until tomorrow. The guy from the financial aid department returned our call today after we left (yet another) message as to why we haven't heard about our financial aid situation. He said he didn't have our papers. We told him we have given the papers to him... twice. Fool us once and make us think we didn't give all of them to you but not twice. He found them. He's had them since early Spring.

I've known the entire college entrance process to bring strong men to their knees, crying Uncle and begging to be put out of their misery. Add dental surgery and antibiotic nausea to that and one may qualify to be put away for awhile... just send me someplace where there is an ocean breeze and a non-alcoholic no-sugar tropical drink with a little umbrella.

We made the decision for Christopher to spend another year at the community college when his advisor (for his major which he can't declare until admissions gets the transcript) told him he already has half the classes necessary to receive his CAD certification. This will make him eligible for a good paying part-time job when he transfers to the University or give him excellent job training in a field for which he is gifted (should he decide to follow that path).

As for me, once I finished shopping for just a few groceries and essentials like kitty litter, I was miserable and my mouth was hurting again. Dinner was sandwiches, fruit, and chips... and I couldn't even make the sandwich (except my own). With apologies to the menfolk, I left the ingredients for dinner on the kitchen counter and headed for the Lazy Boy to watch episodes of Christy on DVD and try to keep my head still. Hubby washed the dishes for me. They have stopped saying such things as, "you don't look so good".

I'm at that point where I'm wanting to do something "interesting" to the house... just a little tweaking here and there -- or -- bake something ... but my body is saying it has to have a few more days R&R. That's a good sign, though. Much better than over the weekend when I just wanted to be put out of my misery.

I may take one more day of sofa time and watch British flicks instead of pulling books off of numerous shelves for titles and publishers names, crawling under Christopher's bed to pull out the container of Sonlight Curriculum books, and sorting through my drawer of the file cabinet to see if I kept hard copies of anything from the homeschool co-op.

I know I should have been backing up everything and keeping copies. If I had it to do over again, I'd have made extensive lists of books read, projects completed, and co-op lessons taken but when you're living that life one day at a time, the thought it will come to an end and you will need transcripts for college seems so far away. Then... overnight... you've gone from the fifth grade to a high school senior and (when did that happen?)... well, it would have been a good idea to have documented the process somewhere other than in Word and Excel. Sigh...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wise advice to print out what we're doing every now and then so as to have a "hard" copy for the files. With a son hoping to follow his dad into a career in law enforcement, transcripts for the junior college and sheriff's academy will be essential. Hope tomorrow is a better day for you, healthwise.

Anonymous said...

Ciao Brenda,
hope you'll get better soon!!
God bless you
br.freddie
PS: please pray for these kids, as far as we have been told the government want to get some of them and put them into different houses which are like hell!!! We have time until September to change the Statutes of our houses in order to keep the kids and teach them some work and let them go to school!

Anita said...

Oh, I do hope you'll be better soon. I know how miserable you must feel. You're doing well to keep up with blogging. You're in my prayers.

~~Deby said...

(((HUGS))) and prayers Brenda,
Deby

~~Deby said...

(((HUGS))) and prayers Brenda,
Deby

Anonymous said...

I know just how you feel about those
homeschool transcripts! I remember feeling like I had a full-time job when it was time to pull together all
the curriculum information for the
high school years. I had the same thought - where did all the years go?!! My oldest son (the one needing
ALL the books lists, etc. on the transcript) just graduated from college in May and now has his first job full-time job in New York City. Wow - God is so good.

Brenda, I sure wish you lived close
by so I could run by with a hot
meal for you and your family.
Just know that we I am cheering you on to a quick recovery and sending along my thoughts and prayers.

The Journey said...

I am glad you are feeling better. I was having some computer problems. I get teeth pulled Thurs. 2 of them. Thankfully just broken not infected. I know that this has been long stretch for you. I am sure your son will do well again this yr. 2 yrs there then on is cheaper.