Saturday, December 01, 2007

Happy Birthday Stephanie


I'm taking a weekend break from Christmas rerun posts to wish my daughter a happy birthday (one day early) and hopefully be able to write a Sunday Afternoon Tea tomorrow. The uh... computer repair person... still has mine hostage. I keep reminding myself we are saving money. :)

I had to use the same picture from last Christmas so both the little girls are one year older and Stephanie is no longer expecting a baby. Matthew is a cute and chubby seven month old. Still, it is a good picture.

It is almost impossible for me to believe this is the THIRTIETH birthday. Why, it wasn't that long ago that I was having a birthday dinner at our favorite restaurant in Holland, Michigan and saying there was no way I COULD BE THIRTY. Tempus does fugit...

There is nothing better than raising a daughter (a son is a very close second but he doesn't like girly stuff). We both loved walking the boardwalk in Sagatuck, visiting the gourmet shop in same town, breakfast out, when a new book in our favorite series came available (how many trips to Pooh's Corner did we make each month?), shopping in downtown Holland for Christmas, Tulip Time festivities, visits to the Queen's Inn for a charming lunch and then play time at Dutch Village, visits to the beach... just long enough so we didn't burn, and watching your Mamaw spoil you silly.

As you grew older, I became amazed at your intellect as well as your singing ability. You certainly inherited neither of those from me. I mean, really... I'm an intelligent person but you were what we called "scary smart". At least until the children arrived. I can't sing anything. I can't even hum a tune. But I love to listen to you.

It's wonderful to have someone else who knows just the book I'd love (and a son-in-law who buys it for me), the perfect garage sale and clearance finds, someone who understands my obsession with Charlotte Mason's style of homeschooling, who likes nature walks but who also isn't an "outdoor kind of girl", who doesn't question the years I wore only black and navy and red and white, and who thinks of me when driving through Brimfield.

It brings me great peace as well as excitement to know the next generation is being raised in a very "Schaeffer-esque" kind of way. Well, Schaeffer meets Sproul and Piper.

I loved it when we looked so much alike, people would get us mixed up. It would be wonderful if it were still like that today. For your sake, I'm glad it isn't. :)

My motto always was, when you raise a daughter you are raising your own best friend. How true. If you were here I'd put up all kinds of banners and posters. We would take you to our favorite Italian restaurant and just like on your 21st birthday... we would toast you with champagne. Well, since none of us are drinkers I'd have only coffee so I could drive us home. That one toast may throw us for a loop!

Since I'm a thousand miles away, I've already sent your "Birthday in a Box" (with chocolate!). That will have to do for now. I pray you have a wonderful birthday and a very blessed year. I hope you find your brains, too. They'll come in handy with the grandchildren.

11 comments:

TheNormalMiddle said...

How beautiful...

I have 2 daughters and reading this was a treasure today!

Mimi said...

what a wonderful tribute to a young lady that is undoubtedly a wonderful daughter.. Happy birthday to a beautiful girl...
and you are right.. when you raise a daughter you raise your own best friend... and I have two!!!

Heather L. said...

Happy Birthday to Stephanie! It is fun to see a picture! I hope you (Stephanie) have a very special day! I'm hitting 30 in 6 days. :)

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

What a beautiful post. We have something else in common. My middle child, second daughter Emily turned thirty this year, on August 31st. Her older sister Alice is thirty-two and younger brother Andy is 25. My daughters are very dear friends and I'm so lucky that Alice, Mike and Nathan live only a few miles away and Em is about a three and a half hour drive. And Andy hasn't left home yet, though he plans to in a year or so. My daughters share my love of reading and Alice and I went together to the D.E. Stevenson convention in Boston last June. Your grandchildren are SO beautiful, Brenda! What a joy!

Anonymous said...

< when you raise a daughter you are raising your own best friend. >

I have 2 daughters like Lindsey above-I love this. What a great thing to keep in mind. (I also have 3 sons-what should I keep in mind about them? lol!)

Happy Birthday to Stephie!!!

joanna :)

Debbie in CA : ) said...

I just finished sending an e-card to my precious daughter away at college who turns 18 tomorrow. I then popped onto your site and read your darling post. So sweet. Yes, I wholeheartedly agree that I have raised a best friend (and there are two more behind her). My boys are precious, but no girly stuff there. : ) Here's a toast to Schaeffer-esque children with a Charlotte Mason education. They are amazing gifts we give ourselves and our world!

copperswife said...

Happy birthday to Stephanie. Your tribute to your daughter was beautiful.

I do hope that you, your family, and your computer are all feeling better soon!

Kelli said...

What a sweet tribute to your daughter, Brenda! May she have a wonderful and blessed birthday!
Kelli

DebD said...

happy birthday and many years to your beautiful daughter. She was a wonderful smile.

nannykim said...

Beautiful picture and I agree--daughters are great great friends--love them!!

Be Inspired Always said...

Beautiful post. Happy Birthday, I hope your day turned out wonderful.





I'm new to your blog, please feel welcomed to come and visit mine.



Jillian