Saturday, October 20, 2007

A beautiful autumn day


I arrived at the Farmer's Market this morning just as the sun was coming up. We were all quite chilled but what beautiful sites and sounds were waiting for those of us willing to get out of bed early on a Saturday morning. I was there to purchase one more five pound container from the Honey Man and at least one bouquet of flowers. I came away with these two...


My sister will be visiting from Florida later this week. I am hoping both bouquets will be fresh when she arrives.

I also came away with the pumpkins and the corn seen at the front corner of my porch (above), a sack of bell peppers, two half gallons of "pressed this morning" unpasteurized apple cider, various veggies, and a small bag of chocolate chip cookies purchased from the cutest little Mennonite girl.

As usual, there was the old man playing an instrument (perhaps a mandolin?) and singing old time hymns and traditional bluegrass melodies. The trees along each side of the street were already turning shades of orange and yellow. A bittersweet morning as this would be the last Saturday until next May to make purchases at the Farmer's Market. Like all of the other outside markets in our area, it ends the last weekend in October (and I have other plans next Saturday).

My husband and I continued the autumn whole house and lawn chores by changing the filters for our well... his least favorite household chore as he has to crawl into the crawlspace under the house (which, I assume, is how it got its' name) where there is very little space (he can only sit up) and lots of spiders. Yuk... However, it is a necessary chore that is done each October and April. I offer encouragement as I stand OUTSIDE, hand him the tools he needs, and wash out the holder for the filter before he puts the new one in. We are always glad to get that behind us.

I worked cleaning the front porch, sweeping leaves, washing windows, getting cobwebs off of everywhere (or so it seemed), and beginning the washing of the siding. I won't be able to completely scrub it until 1) we move the furniture to the shed, and 2) the spiders are dead or at least hiding for the season.

My husband also has been helping me with inside cleaning projects. I keep telling him that every bit of help goes a LONG way.

Fortunately, my sister called to say she is arriving later this week. What timing! The house should be shiny from the autumn deep cleaning and the trees will be close to peak color. They are more muted this year but still very pretty. She can brag on the warm Florida weather come Winter but I know she'll be happy to return "Home" during this season. I'm sorry she broke her foot and wasn't able to come when originally planned. I'm not sorry it will be so pretty when she is here.

I love this time of year. :)

9 comments:

Quinne said...

Hi Brenda :) What a lovely way to spend a day - shopping at an outdoor market and doing fall chores.

I hope that you and your sister have a lovely visit this week. I cherish every single minute that I am able to spend with mine :) Love, Q

Heather L. said...

Loved your pictures and the trip to the Farmer's Market! It has been a beautiful day out!

Tammy said...

Sounds like a lovely day. Loved the pictures.
blessings

smilnsigh said...

Yeaaaaaaaaaaa, you took pictures!

Mari-Nanci
Photos-City-Mine is one of my 4 blogs.

Maggie Ann said...

Autumn thoughts beautifully expressed! I almost feel as if I were there too. =)

Anonymous said...

Dear Brenda;

You have a treadle sewing machine - so do I. I just love them!

Your day sounded wonderful. Autumn is definately my favorite time of year.

Blessings,

Maria

Jill said...

Hi Brenda, I love your post and your beautiful photos, your home looks really lovely, a very welcoming place. I hope you have a lovely time with your sister.

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

What a nice way to spen a Fallday. Mary

Susie Q said...

What a sweet day...loved all your pictures! You gave me a smile! Thank you sweetie!

Hugs,
Sue