Monday, July 16, 2007

A morning in the kitchen

Thanks to Maryellen's comment about the cookies on my recipe blog. I do often say that I have the spiritual gift of cookies. :) The cowboy cookies are truly wonderful and since I made part of the recipe without the chocolate chips and dried fruit for David's Feingold diet when he was visiting, my husband has decided he likes them even better than the original. So...now I make part of it as the original recipe and part of it as "David's cookies"...because that is the way Granddad likes them, too.

I bought the latest Paula Deen magazine over the weekend just to get the German Chocolate Gooey cake recipe. My husband loves anything German Chocolate. We are attending a church function Wednesday night so I'll take this cake with me. I know...it is not wise to try a new recipe at such times but I really want to see what it turns out like. Also, it is far better for my blood sugar numbers if I get it out of the house. I looked through the magazine yesterday and it has a lot of good recipes. I think I've used more of her recipes than anyone on the Food Network. Except perhaps Ina Garten's (The Barefoot Contessa).

I plan to spend tomorrow morning (Tuesday) baking the cake (as most of those cakes taste better the next day) and I need to make a loaf of bread. I need to use up some of the whole wheat flour that I ground a couple of weeks ago. I have stew beef in the crock pot with two cans of Cream of Mushroom soup tonight. I bought it on sale and had planned to use it for an actual stew but then I got so busy for a few days, there wasn't time to slow bake the stew. Instead, I decided I'll put it in the crock pot tonight with two cans of the soup and a few seasonings. I'll serve it over mashed potatoes tomorrow for a "big lunch".

There are lots of good recipes on my recipe blog (link on the side bar). I add more as I have time.

4 comments:

DebD said...

I often try something new for church functions. I don't know why, but it just works out that way. I've never had a dud.

Anonymous said...

Well your cookies are almost gone. We are going to the beach this weekend and oldest grown daughter already asked me to bring them. My husband is a cop and took them to role call and they disappeared. He said "honestly hon those are the best cookies you've ever made". So I must say you are the "Cookie Diva" in my book. I am going to try the pumpkin cookies next can I use canned pumpkin with same results? Let us know how the new cake recipe goes. In your case I wouldn't worry about taking something new. I just visited Paula Deans restaurant in Savannah.Thanks again, Maryellen

UP said...

As long as I can remember, my mother suffered with Paranoid Schizophrenia. As she got older, the disease grew worse. However, while us 7 kids where at home, Mom would retreat to her kitchen when she needed time by herself. Often she would bake something cookies, bars, breads. After my Dad retired, they moved to a small Iowa town and Mom continued the baking. Soon the neighborhood children learned to knock on the kitchen door and ask for a cookie. However, Mom had a sharp eye and would tell the ones who tried to get two cookies in one day that they had already had their cookie. I am always amazed at how my mother became the cookie lady to the entire neighborhood even though her disease was extremely bad by that time.

Anonymous said...

Let us know about the cake. I have the same Paula issue!!