Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Rest, quiet, prayer, preparation, conquest

I recently signed up to receive Anne Ortlund's ministry newsletter. You can't imagine how happy I was to find she and her husband, Ray, are continuing in ministry. Her books have had a significant impact on my life, equal only to Edith Schaeffer.

Here is an excerpt from that newsletter, as she is talking about Ray recovering from an illness...


"An unexpected gift of quiet! Does the Lord sometimes give you one of these?...

God said to Joshua and the children of Israel, poised on the banks of the Jordan River.

"Three days from now you will cross..." (Joshua 1:11).

First rest, quiet, prayer, preparation. Then conquest.

Christ said to His disciples, poised to tell the world of His death and Resurrection.

"Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised... You will be baptized with the Holy Spirit" (Acts 1:4,5).

The book of Acts is a book of action! It has twenty-eight chapters. But the first chapter is one of waiting. Then, twenty-seven chapters of ceaseless activity.

What would music be without rests?
What would lace be without spaces?

"He makes me lie down..." (Psalm 23:2).

For His commands to be quiet,

And for unexpected quiet times not of our choosing...

Let's rejoice, and embrace them with thanksgiving."*


Isn't that lovely?

I encourage you to visit their website and I highly recommend any of Anne's books! I especially loved Disciplines of the Beautiful Woman, which is now available in one edition with her two other "Disciplines" books.

*Quote used with permission from Renewal Ministries.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

...an unexpected gift of quiet...

I treasure these. <><

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the website. I pick up Anne Ortland's Disciplines book second hand to give to ladies in my life. I really appreciate her insight in organizing, esp. after coming home to mother.