Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Comments about the market

Okay, Brenda...your blog is already a little difficult to define. I mean, really...do we link it to books, homemaking, tea time, or what? Now you're giving economic advice so are we to add business or economics? Nope...it's still me...tea time loving, bibliophile, Grammie who loves Starbucks when finances permit a treat. However, in my past life I did do some corporate stuff and economy watching.

I actually started out in college planning on majoring in economics but instead became engaged to a graduate student (whose undergrad degree is in economics and master's is in wood technology and furniture engineering...that's a mouthful!). I never did lose my interest in business and the economy and for years continued reading on the subject (which is how I held some interesting jobs in the corporation...reading...so see, it still fits the title). It was after my son was born and I knew my suit and high heels days were behind me that I didn't read much about corporations and such. I do still read some political and economic websites when I'm curious about what is "really going on in the world".

When the front page of papers and our 24 hour news channels are concentrating on blond women who either are heading for a train wreck or have already met their demise because of wrong decisions while the world situation is in truth...dismal...sometimes we have to look for truth someplace other than national news media outlets. (Thus, my search online.) Only my local news outlets have been telling me anything worth watching or reading lately.

All that to give a small reminder...small but important. There are so many things going on in the world today that anyone with a bit of discernment can see we are in unstable times. We've been told it is not "if" but "when" we will have another major terrorist attack on our soil. We are in the midst of wars and rumors of wars. The price of oil is expected to continue to rise and we know if there is any instability in the Middle East, it will quickly sky rocket. (IF there is any instability?)

We have so many distractions from what is important. We must be realistic about our purchases we make, thinking through what is a need and what is a want. If we feel God has told us to make a move, why are we waiting? On the other hand, if we want a different house but He has told us...wait...why are we talking to Realtors? Has He been whispering in that still small voice, telling you to learn a new skill or prepare a garden? Are you using extra income to deepen your pantry with necessities...or...are you making a purchase that you know, in your heart, He is telling you is not the best use of your money right now.

There are too many people who have great discernment, people I trust, who are getting this "feeling" that things aren't right. The world may look like it is out of control but it isn't. He still holds us in the palm of His hand and he is still the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End. He knows everything going on in the world, even in smoke filled back rooms and whisper filled caves...and He is not worried.

Use wisdom, think through decisions, pray, ask for guidance, prepare instead of fear...little things add up to a lot. He placed you in this time and this place for a purpose which only you can fulfill. Be salt...be light.

As the angels say, fear not...

4 comments:

Susan P. said...

I loved this post Brenda. Your words are always so very wise.

Candy said...

Brenda...that is so funny what you wrote on my blog, that your family tells you to even mouth the words to a song in Church. I actually do that! LOL

Anonymous said...

Well said. This may be a little off topic but I am concerned about so many people using celebrities like Martha, Oprah and Ellen as role models. They all live a non'christian lifestyle and are adored and copied by so many. I refuse to support any of their promotions as my way of protesting. I do not watch their programs either.

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Yes, Oprah especially is deemed a spiritual advisor to many...which concerns me.