Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The best laid plans of mice and men

I had my "to do" list ready for this week. When my son and I were making a quick trip to the grocery store, we came back to a car that would not start. It is now at our mechanics, towed in with a probable expensive fix ahead. Yuk...not what we needed at this time. Of course, there is never a perfect time for car breakdowns, accidents, illness, financial setbacks, etc. A former pastor preached a sermon called The Inconvenience of Being In Need...a very descriptive way of putting it.

So for the time being, I have switched my immediate goals from searching out food deals for the family to refining my organizing, taking down the Christmas tree and putting Christmas 2006 completely behind us (it was hard to take down the tree...small but lovely), and...spending time in the Word and prayer for my 2007 marching orders.

I like the idea at Mrs. Catherine's Making It Home blog to pick three new things to learn this year. I knew gardening was at the top of my list. After last year's attempts, it was obvious I needed to do some more learning! I pondered it more yesterday and decided knitting (which I'd already wanted to learn) and canning using my pressure canner would be the other two on the list.

Next week, I plan to write some about planning for emergencies. I got online in the 90s as part of an emergency preparedness website and forum. My interest in the subject dates back to the 1970s (when some thought we were entering another Depression). It is probably the one area I've done the most reading and research in my life, other than being a Christian wife and mother. So, I'll be getting my thoughts and ideas together for those posts.

As for now, I will spend part of the day in the kitchen making soup and bread for us along with some baked thank you gifts for the young man who rescued us yesterday and the other young man who rolled out of bed while it was still dark this morning and picked up my son to drive him to work. Those are true friends indeed. Living in the country without a car is truly the inconvenience of being in need. :)

You can get to Mrs. Catherine's article about choosing three things to learn by (clicking here) .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brenda, my absolute favorite gardening book/method is called "Square Foot Gardening." There is an updated version that was just put out last year that I give 5 huge stars. I can't recommend this book or method highly enough. It's the only way to garden, imho. :)
I posted about this book up on top that I love, love, love. It's called "An Island Garden." Very inspiring before beginning a garden. It's a reprint that was originally written...oh, I forget when but it was years ago, like in the late 1800's or early 1900's. Do check it out.
Joanna

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I will have to check both of those books out. I have the really old Square Foot Gardening (never read it) that I bought a few years ago at a yard sale. I heard he had updated the book.

An Island Garden sounds lovely. I need inspiration. I have a small house with a BIG yard. The young couple who lived here before us planted a lot of perennials against the fence (long fence) but having gone through one entire year, I know where there are spots needing plants or bushes (not to mention the deck).