Friday, December 22, 2006

Still baking!

I wonder if one can develop an allergy to flour by keeping one's hands in it too long? Oh, the things we ponder as we bake. I can tell you how much baking I've done, I actually ran out of white sugar. I can't recall the last time I ran out of white sugar...brown sugar and Splenda, yes...just not white sugar.

I have been told there was much rejoicing over the two cakes I made for the bookstore's Christmas party. One person said my baking is remarkable and if I had a hundred dollars for every time someone told me I should bake professionally, I'd be quite comfortable financially right now. However, as I remind them, that is a career which is not wise for Juvenille Diabetics. As it is, I must resolve after Christmas to stay away from complex carbohydrates for awhile!

Since Christmas Eve is on Sunday this year, I made the decision to have all necessary baking done by tomorrow evening (Saturday). So I made a chocolate cake for Christmas Eve (aka: Tulip Time Brownies), this recipe being one that keeps very well for two or even three days. I made cranberry orange quick breads for Christmas day (one regular loaf pan and six mini loaves). I made a double batch of Puppy Chow this afternoon, which is a very brave thing to attempt. I made a double batch to keep one and give the other, in a large Christmas tin, to a family who has meant a lot to my son this year.

I always think fondly of Stephanie's campus pastor when I make Puppy Chow. I offered to make it the first time we had the campus ministry group at our home for a party. Stephanie didn't think I should bother but we were both surprised when it turned out to be a favorite of Pastor Mike's. That made it all worth the making! (We're still very fond of Mike and his lovely wife except he and my husband have been uh...competitive?...in fantasy football this year.)

Tomorrow I will make a pumpkin pie for Christmas and one other Christmas Eve dessert. We have had a tradition of hors d'oeuvres on Christmas Eve for as long as I can remember (before our son was born). This year we will have a favorite dip served with Scoops and I'm thinking of making potato latkes. Although I may copy my daughter and make potato skins, which would be easier. At this rate, we should have salads from now until Easter.

Here's the Puppy Chow recipe I use, happy baking (or in this case...happy melting and mixing!):

Puppy Chow

1 stick butter or margarine
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup chocolate chips

Melt ingredients together.

Add:

7 cups Rice or Corn chex*

Stir well.

Pour into a grocery sack (or other large bag): 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Add Chex mix and shake well.

I find it good to pour mixture into a colander and shake excess powdered sugar off as much as possible.

*I prefer to use Crispex cereal instead, especially if I can get it on sale. This year I used half Rice Chex and half Corn chex since they were what I found at a great price.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Mmm....everything sounds wonderful! I am also trying to make most everything ahead of time.
Wishing you and your family and Blessed and Merry Christmas!
Kelli

Susan P. said...

Brenda, thank you so much for all the wonderful recipes you share with us, and I would especially like to thank you for all of your wonderful thought-provoking postings! Have a Blessed Christmas!