Monday, September 11, 2006

Favorite Books -- Tea time

I have a stack of books in my bedroom that are my "take me away from it all" reading. Mostly they are small books, many about tea time, some are "books about books", and a few are just old friends, like Edith Schaeffer's Hidden Art of Homemaking or Elizabeth George's A Woman After God's Own Heart.

Recently, I pulled one of my favorite teatime books off the shelf to read again. (After a rather bleak day.) It is called Let's Have Tea Together and it is a Holly Pond Hill book by Susan Wheeler. (It was previously titled Tea With Victoria Rose...for some reason they changed it, I think that a delightful title.)

I discovered this book in my library under the Victoria Rose title. I loved it so much, I searched on Amazon for it, only to find it was out of print. Thankfully, further research found it in print with the new title so I was able to order it and put it in my "favorites" shelf.

I want to have tea with Victoria Rose and her friends. They may be bunnies and other furry creatures but they are delightful. They love the same things I do; tea, books, classical music, tea parties, friends and family. The book is set up by the four seasons and it is delightful. I know, I used delightful twice...but it really is...delightful.

I've long been a fan of Susan Wheeler's art and the life she gives to Victoria Rose and friends makes me smile as I read through the book. Although I read it alone, it would be a perfect book to read with a child or grandchild. I give it four teacups (out of four)!

8 comments:

Sandra said...

I don't know how I found your blog but am so glad I did! I enjoy alot of the same things you do --- tea, books, books, books. :o)

I'd love to have tea with you and Victoria Rose, too!

I've bookmarked your blog and will visit often.

Great blog!

Susan P. said...

I simply must find that book! It sounds so charming and one that I would like to read even though my children are grown:) I thought it was so cute how you rated it! I so enjoy your blog!!

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I checked and it is still in print.

One of the nice things about tihs book, too, is the storyline. Sometimes these books have great recipes and such but the storyline isn't so good.

This one is so sweet. In one chapter, Victoria is telling about going shopping with mom and then stopping by the tea room. I remember when stores had tea rooms!

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Sorry about spelling error.

One shouldn't try to type early in the morning before having coffee.

Lady of the house said...

Hello, Ma'am! I'm new to blogger and found you recently through the Sparrow's Nest. I recently started my own little blog and would like your permission to add you to my favorite links once I figure out how. May I please? You are one of my three favorites.

Kelli said...

Everytime I go to the used book store I look for Susan Wheeler books! I think I'm just going to order them. I want to live at Holly Pond Hill. :0)
Kelli

Mary said...

Hi Brenda!

Well, I know we are kindred spirits. I have loved Susan Wheeler for years. I have both books. I just adore her stories. I love Victoria Rose, her hubby Edmund, Oliver, Emily and baby Violet. I have named our bunnies that we have living under our huge evergreens after the Boxwood family. I have her Christmas book, The Happiest Season of All. I must confess, there is a card factory in our town and for a while they had an outlet store. I went every Saturday and when they had Susan Wheeler things, I stocked up. I just love everything about Holly Pond Hill.

For everyone who also loves her, try searching ebay. Her home was featured in a magazine I have. I will have to look for it. It was a charming warm home, just like Holly Pond Hill.
Brenda, I always enjoy your posts and look forward to reading them.

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I would love to see pictures of her house. I have also purchased her greeting cards (full price, though!). I used to stock up on cards a couple of times a year and I loved hers the most. She had a calendar one year which I purchased from the Christian bookstore. I kept the calendar pages, cut them out and I've had them on my bulletin board off and on since then.

I'm so happy to have you all visit. Wouldn't it be fun if we could have tea?

Jenny, I welcome links here from any blog. That's how I've found those that I have come to enjoy. Kind of like a like-minded, kindred spirit, cyber back yard fence!